Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shelia12345 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2014, 07:36 PM
    Taxes on my income for cleaning a church
    I clean my church weekly, they do not file taxes because they are a non profit. They were wondering if they need to fill out a 1099 or do I need to file it in a different way? I am trying to do my taxes myself so I would greatly appriciate details
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2014, 07:46 PM
    Depends on your status, if they should give you a W2 or a 1099. Employee or contract worker. If the Pastor is paid, they are suppose to be doing the same to him. His income is not exempt just because he is a pastor.

The Church is also not exempt from filing taxes unless their total donations are under certain amounts.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2014, 07:49 PM
    Do you get paid for the work? If so, then, yes, they need to give you a Form 1099-MISC or a W-2.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 06:51 AM
    Although they are a non-profit they are still resposible for documenting your pay either with a 1099 or a W2. If you are a contractor (i.e. you set your own hours, provide your own cleaning supplies) they can go with the 1099, in which case you will have to pay self-employment tax when you file your income taxes. But if you are an employee (i.e have a boss who sets your hours and assigns tasks, and you generally use equipment provided by the church) then you are considered to be a W2 employee, and the church must deduct income and FICA taxes.
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2014, 02:18 PM
    Sounds like the church is trying to hide something... just keep the money
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 29, 2014, 03:01 PM
    They sound like they don't know what they are doing. If they give you a 1099, then they will get in trouble for not filing themselves. And strictly speaking, you don't qualify for contract workers, so are an employee. That means things like withholding and submitting taxes, and paying workmen's comp in case you are injured. Even churches can get in big trouble.
    Have them talk to a tax advisor about all this. Maybe if you don't make much they can call it a stipend. But only if it fits the rules.
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2014, 06:10 AM
    Some one at the church knows what going on... talk to who ever writes you the check and the person that authorizes it..
    How much are you getting paid a week ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2014, 09:53 AM
    I am going to side with Joy. Some of the smaller churches sometimes have NO CLUE what they are doing when it comes to their employees' salaries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I Give an Estimate for Cleaning a 15,000 Square Foot Church? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I give an estimate for cleaning a 15.000 sqf church?

Church cleaning [ 0 Answers ]

My wife and I have been cleaning a church for almost two years now. We got the job because my sister works there and they were not satisfied with their current janitor. We are contractors but they supply all supplies. We are not professionals, per se. However I feel we are not making enough but...

I earn income in CA, husband earns income in TX. We live in TX. How do we file taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband's company is relocating to TX. We will be living in TX. I will be maintaining my business in CA. How will we file our taxes? I will physically be working in CA as a hairstylist for 3-4 days/month. Should we file married separate? We are happy to be leaving all of the CA taxes behind and...

I got a 1099 misc form for cleaning for my local church [ 1 Answers ]

It was for $816, do I have to claim this on my taxes

View more questions Search