Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c33596 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2014, 03:21 PM
    Water in toilet tank too high--not a ball float
    Our toilet has been working fine until last evening when it started to sound different when flushed. Clearly the water level is too high in the tank. We have the non-ball type mechanism and I see online where it says to adjust the clip but I don't know how to do that. After some flushes the toilet runs but not after every flush. The water level is too high after each flush. We're ready to call a plumber but trying to avoid it if it's a simple fix.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2014, 03:27 PM
    Where is the water level in relation to the overflow tube? If it is over or at the lip, the "clip" you noted is the small metal "V" shaped clip that adjusts the float level. It is on the wire along the side of the float. Squeeze the clip and slide it down a bit. Newer models have a screw adjustment on the float. If it will not adjust, the whole assembly is easily replaced.
    c33596 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2014, 03:38 PM
    The water level is right at the overflow tube. I don't see a metal clip anywhere. I see a black plastic piece that seems to be equivalent to a schematic labeled "water level adjustment clip" but it doesn't seem to move. I haven't tried to adjust a screw although it looks like there are several so I can try that. I was afraid to try without knowing what I'm doing.

When I try to manually move the float lower, the water overflows through the tube but the water level doesn't re-set.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 28, 2014, 04:09 PM
    There should be only one long screw attached to the float. If that screw will not turn and lower the float, turn the water off at the stop valve under the tank and flush the toilet. Then push down on the top of the fill valve. The entire fill valve and float should move down and click. Then adjust the float so that the water turns off when the water level is about 1" below the top of the overflow tube.

It will take a little force to push the fill valve down. If it will not push down, reach in under the float and pull up on the locking ring (usually gray) on the shaft. Push the fill valve down one notch and then lock in place by pushing the locking ring back down into place.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2014, 05:18 PM
    C33596 said,
    After some flushes the toilet runs but not after every flush. The water level is too high after each flush.
    Just so I am clear here, are you saying that the water level is too high in the toilet TANK, AND that you are also having issues with the toilet flushing completely or properly? Please clarify, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in toilet tank won't refill after I replaced ball and cock [ 4 Answers ]

I just replaced the ball and cock mechinism in my toilet tank with the new "modern" Korky quiet fill valve and flapper. Everything works fine except the water does not refill in the tank unless I manually move the fill valve after flushing. Is there something I should be checking in order to have...

Toilet tank keeps filling after the float has stopped [ 2 Answers ]

The toilet tank keeps filling with water after the float has stopped. Here's what happens 1. flush toilet 2. tank refills 3. float comes up and the water stops coming out the black tube 4. I can hear water and continue to see the water level rise (quite slowly) But I can't see where...

Toilet tank float not working [ 4 Answers ]

Both of my toilets are over-filling the tank causing continuous running water until you vigorously jiggle the handle and the float pops up shutting the water off. Both are Kohler, 7-years old and the problem just started a month or so back around the same time. If I semi-vigorously push down/pull...

Toilet won't fill the tank that is water is on ball cock looks fine please help [ 8 Answers ]

Toilet won't flush I have made sure water is on shaked the ball cock funny thing I have two toiletback to back other is fine please help!! No water whatsoever in tanks

Toilet ballcock: problems adjusting arm/ball float [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, After I flush my toilet, the water starts filling the tank, but goes past the desired fill line and all the way up to the overflow tube, making the toilet run constantly. After reading one of speedball's old replies, I tested the ballcock arm. I am able to lift the ball float arm...

View more questions Search