Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ps410302 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2014, 01:46 PM
    'Back-door' Roth IRA Conversion / taxes
    I had a defined-contribution pension plan for many years in New York State. It has been inactive for 1 year now as I now have a corporate 401K plan instead. I do not want to roll it over to an IRA - for 4 tax years I have been able to add to a Roth IRA by first contributing to a non-deductible traditional IRA (my income is over the limit for a deductible IRA ANYWAY), and then immediately converting this contribution to a Roth IRA, thus there are absolutely no taxes ever due. However, if I do have to roll over the older pension monies to an IRA, then almost all of my tax avoidance is gone (just the tiny proportion of the conversion from the present contribution to the non-deductible IRA is not taxed) so I wouldn't do the Roth anymore in this case. So, do I HAVE to roll over an inactive pension plan, or can I leave it in its present form, or is there some other non-IRA way for the pension money to go?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 28, 2014, 02:45 PM
    1. You only have to roll over your old pension plan if the plan requires it. Some plans require ex-employees take distributions or do a roll over once they are no longer employed, but many plans let you leep the account open as long as it exceeds some minimum threshold (typically $5K or so). Your pension plan administrator should be able to tell you what your options are.

2. Keep in mind that sooner or later you have to pay taxes on ALL yuor retirement plans. In the case of your stategy with the Roth plans you are paying taxes now rather than later - that's essentially a bet on your part that your tax bracket will be higher when you retire and start withdrawing than they are now.

3. Rolling your pension to an IRA plan does not generate any tax bill at all, until such time as you start taking withdrawals. The decision as to whether to leave the account alone or roll it to an IRA should be driven by factoprs such as (a) where you can have the best options for investment choices, (b) which has lower expenses, and (c) whether consolidating plans simplifies your record keeping by. Taxes do not play a part, since all else being equal your tax bill will be the same regardless.

4. Your rationale for no longer doing your Roth contributions if you roll your pension to an IRA doesn't make sense. Again, it doesn't matter whether you have a tax-deferred pension plan or a tax-deferred IRA - sooner or later you will pay those taxes.

There really are no other options - no way to convert a tax-deferred plan into a tax-fre one without paying taxes on the conversion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens to my Roth IRA when I move back to Australia? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently working in the US on a non-permanent work visa, and I have opened a small ROTH IRA. When I return to australia, what would my options be? Am I able to keep it? Also, would I be able to keep my bank account and regular brokerage account? Would I have to file US tax returns for...

What taxes do you pay when you convert a regular IRA to a Roth IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Looking to convert my company IRA funds to a Roth IRA to take advantage of a low level of income in 2012 (and thus a lower tax rate). Do you pay Social Security Tax and Medicare Tax on that conversion as well?

10% penalty when you pay your taxes from IRA during Roth IRA conversion? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are using money of an IRA to pay taxes during roth ira conversion, are the amounts taken out to pay taxes subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty?

Taxes on Roth IRA withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to pay taxes on interest earned from a Roth IRA Withdrawl after age 65?

View more questions Search