Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raesav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2014, 01:27 PM
    Ssi and taxes for minor under my name.
    My son gets SSI for his disability. Since I am his parent the check is deposited into my checking account, so basically in my name. Confused one accountant tells me to claim the income as my own, another states I don't have to because he is a minor and the amount is minimal. Its under $3,000 a year. So what do I do.
    Thanks for any input.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2014, 04:14 PM
    The second accountant IS correct. The SSI is your SON's SSI, not yours, and this should NOT be included on your income tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I file taxes on my SSI if I don't have taxes taken out during the year? [ 2 Answers ]

I draw one disabilty check from my employer which is tax free so nothing to claim there. I also draw SSI which does not have any taxes taken out of it. What is my filing status regarding income tax and how do I deduct my exemptions (house interest, medical expenses, etc)?

Filing Taxes while on SSI [ 5 Answers ]

I receive S.S.I. and want to file income taxes to receive the earned income credit for my 2 children. Is this possible? I have sole custody of the children and the father only gets the children every other weekend for visitation which does not equate to 6 months out of the year of them being with...

Filing Income Taxes while on SSI [ 3 Answers ]

Good Morning The question I have is as follows: I'm on SSI for myself and are receiving Public assistance for my 3 children. I have been told that I can file taxes and claim my children. I don't want to go on heresay so I'm wondering if there is any validity to this info that people are...

Past due 941 taxes and ssi [ 9 Answers ]

WE owe past 941 taxes on a business that was dissolved in 2001. Do these taxes ever go away? I think a tax atty told me they had a 10yr life, then fell off. Plus, we are 3 yrs from retirement, and are wondering if these taxes will impact our social security payments? They currently keep all...

SSI and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My son gets ssi , I'm his primary caretaker. Can I file taxes, its my only sourse of income?? I had to quit work to take care of him, income level should be enough to file , but can I?? :confused:

View more questions Search