Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glena gillett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2014, 03:32 PM
    The water in the hot water heater has an off smell (not sulfur)?
    The cold water is fine, the house next door has the same water and electric hot water heater too, but theirs doesn't smell. We have put bleach in the hot water tank, it hepls for a while then the smell come back.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 27, 2014, 04:05 PM
    When is the last time your anode rods were inspected?

https://www.waterconnection.com/the-anode-rod/
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2014, 04:06 PM
    It sounds like you are having trouble with your ANODE ROD producing hydrogen sulfide gas (sulpher smell like rotten eggs). Here, your best bet will be to remove the magnesium anode rod in the water heater and install a less reactive zinc or aluminum (or combo. Zn/AL) anode rod in the water heater...should resolve the issue for you!

After changing the anode rod out, hike the temperature up to say 160F or so for a couple hours as that should kill any residual sulpher bacterium. Flush the tank and return the temp. to 120F and you should be all set!

Why hasn't your neighbor had the problem you ask? It could simply be a little more time until they do have the problem, or not...depends on too many factors to say exactly. The fact is that you do have a problem and this should fix it for you.

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2014, 04:48 PM
    How did you put bleach in the hot water tank?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water coming out of hot water side only cold... hot water heater is working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help bad. I am a woman writing to you whose husband has given up on the problem and will no longer work on this. He doesn't care if we have hot water cause he can take a shower at work. I cannot. It is the dead of winter here in Colorado. We had frozen pipes that burst in the wall...

Does a hot water heater leak smell like ammonia? [ 4 Answers ]

In my son's room it smell like ammonia on his carpet, there is a soaking wet puddle, and the wet spot smell's like ammonia, the hot water heater is in he's closet. We do have a cat and dog but, the wet spot is too big to be theirs. So does a leaking hot water heater smell like ammonia if NOT what...

GASOLINE smell in closet with electric hot water heater [ 3 Answers ]

We live in an apartment above the maintenance garage in our apartment complex and have had issues for the past few months with a gasoline smell coming from our walk-in closet (where the electric hot water heater is) and under both our kitchen and bathroom sinks. Maintenance for the complex has...

I smell gas when my hot water heater is through heating. [ 1 Answers ]

There is a slight smell of gas in the utility room when my hot water heater is not heating. I turned it off, opened a window and waited awhile, then re-lit. Same problem. Doesn't seem right - what should I do?

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

View more questions Search