Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rishi_85 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2014, 03:09 PM
    Income tax refund on L1 visa
    Hi,

I have moved to San Jose, USA on 1st January,2014 on L1 visa. My annual income is 80000$ per annum.

I have to go back to india on end of February, 2014. Therefore please clarify my following queries:

1. As currently (federal tax + State tax + others) are getting deducted by my employer, please advice will I be eligible for tax refund considering that I am working in USA only from Jan,14 till end of feb,14.
    2. If I am eligible for refund, then what all taxes will be refunded back to me? Is it only federal, or all (federal,state and etc) of them
    3. What will be the procedure for claiming the refund? Do I have to submit the return before leaving USA on Feb,2014 OR can I file the return after reaching India as well.
    4. How long will it take to get the refund back from IRS?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2014, 09:25 PM
    The income you earn while here in the U.S. IS subject to U.S. income taxes because it is U.S.-sourced.

You will file Form 1040NR (as a non-resident alien because you did NOT meet the 183-day Substantial Presence Test) plus Form 2106 to claim daily living expenses (since your work tour is LESS than one year).

You will also file a California return as a part-year resident; THAT return can be filed electronically.

Both of these returns for 2014 will be filed NEXT year in January 2015. That is the earliest date these return can be filed.

If next year you need professional help, email me at the email address in my profile. I handle returns like yours on a routine basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Tax Refund [ 14 Answers ]

My daughter is 19, she lives with us, is in college and only earned $1,800.00 in 2012. She received the W2 which shows Inc Tax Withholdings of around $120.00. We claim her as a dependent. How can she get a refund of that withholding, since her income is not sufficient to pay Income Taxes..

B1 visa in 2009 and L1 visa in 2010 - tax return and refund? [ 1 Answers ]

I came in US first time on B1 visa (duration 05/17/2009 to 08/08/2009) Now I am in US since 07/18/2010. Does it conclude that I am a resident alien for 2010 tax filing? I have spouse, and a kid (2 years) as dependent. What will be my tax return?

Collectors (law office) Garishing Income & Income Tax Refund? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in the Atlanta, GA area and I brought a house last spring. This summer I start receiving mail and phone calls from a law office regarding a credit card that was closed over 10 years ago, but I paid some money on it after that. So, it has been over 7 years,but a few month under 10 years. ...

Income tax refund [ 2 Answers ]

How can I stop student loan companys from taking my income tax refund?

Income tax refund [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon, I would like to know if I will receive a tax refund from my unemployment benefits, or am I just getting a refund from the months that I was employed in 2008. I know that they take taxes out of my unemployment check, but am I entitled to those ? I know that I have to include that on...

View more questions Search