Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Workers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2014, 10:41 AM
    Temporary employment
    I work for a temporary agency and they pa me and use a w2 at the end of the year. They take out all my taxes etc. Can I establish a consulting firm as a workers comp adjuster and have the temp agency pay me via a 1099 full pay and have ADP payroll service take out my taxes. Therefore I can write off my transportation as a workers compensation consultant.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2014, 01:17 PM
    That course of action is feasible if you do a lot of traveling during the day.

If, however, you drive from home to a single office, work all day, then return home, THAT travel is commuting whether you get paid under Form w-2 or Form 1099-MISC, and commuting costs are NEVER deductible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2014, 01:43 PM
    Most temp agencies won't go along with that. So even if it was feasible and practical, its unlikely you will get them to agree.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 27, 2014, 06:28 PM
    Several years ago the IRS cracked down on temp agencies, not allowing any more consultant/contractors unless they met all the requirements of being one.
    Do you know what they are? There are at least 20. I highly doubt that you can meet even the top 5 of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employment Restrictions on Employment Authorization Card [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process AOS (I485) under Eb3 from India. My Priority date is Dec 2002. I have been working on a Federal Project as a contractor on my EAD. 2 days ago, they let me go for the reason that the project became high risk, and only US citizens and GC holders are only allowed. I am planning to...

Is any temporary hair dye REALLY temporary? [ 7 Answers ]

My hair is a really nice golden blond color and it's in really good condition, especially considering it's colored, long and curly. I'd like to go dark but only for a short while, as I really love the color I have and have gone through A lot to get it this way. If I use a temporary dye, will it...

Why would I need to pay self employment tax on employment settlement [ 1 Answers ]

My original question was regarding 1099 misc I can't find any informaiton regarding the rational of paying self employment tax on settlement when I was an employee of this company I found this documentation on a site regarding self employment. Also how can I determine what the award is replacing. ...

Employment Law regarding employment applications [ 2 Answers ]

I know that employers can ask on their applications if you have ever been convicted of a felony, but I ran into one the other day that asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Just wondering why the 7 years.

View more questions Search