Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robbo51269 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2005, 07:25 PM
    What to do with $8000
    Hi I'm getting married in march and my fiancée has $8000 dollars in an AG EDWARDS that's doing nothing.any ideas what we should do with it?
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Feb 28, 2005, 10:37 PM
    I would do a lot of research before investing any part of that money. If it's in a money market account I would leave it there for the time being. Hilary Clinton just made a remark 2 weeks ago that the U.S. is so heavily in debt to other countries that our economy is in a bad way so I wouldn't buy any stocks, bonds etc. in case the stock market takes tremendous swing downward and then all stocks will be worthless. All it takes is a little research especially when you have a good amount at stake. I've had my 401k in the money market the Jan. after 911 happened as I just don't feel the market is a good place to be now. Also a lot of countries are refusing to accept the american dollar as payment and are dumping the dollars they do hold and turning it in for euro dollars, swiss money, etc. as they feel with the fed continuing to raise interest rates our economy is in trouble and I have to agree with them. You are free to handle the money as you wish but please do a lot of homework first.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2005, 08:15 AM
    robbo51269:

I am not as pessimistic as ladyandjan, but I agree that you do need to do your homework.

Over the long-term, investments in the stock market do better than any other investment currently available. However, not all stocks are created equal. They range from the ultra-risky penny stocks to very safe Fortune 500 stocks. However, all stocks have a certain amount of risk and even the safest and highest-rated stocks can decline in value, sometimes rather dramatically. It is also possible to double or triple your money (or more) in a matter of months. :)

Before I give any specific advice, I would need to know a whole lot more about your (and your finance's) age, risk tolerance, other investments, debt level, retirement savings level and other issues to give me an overall view of your financial situation. If you do not want to put that much info on an open forum like this one, you can e-mail me at [email protected].

Hope this helps!

Atlanta Tax Expert
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Mar 6, 2005, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    robbo51269:

I am not as pessimistic as ladyandjan, but I agree that you do need to do your homework.

Over the long-term, investments in the stock market do better than any other investment currently available. However, not all stocks are created equal. They range from the ultra-risky penny stocks to very safe Fortune 500 stocks. However, all stocks have a certain amount of risk and even the safest and highest-rated stocks can decline in value, sometimes rather dramatically. It is also possible to double or triple your money (or more) in a matter of months. :)

Before I give any specific advice, I would need to know a whole lot more about your (and your finance's) age, risk tolerance, other investments, debt level, retirement savings level and other issues to give me an overall view of your financial situation. If you do not want to put that much info on an open forum like this one, you can e-mail me at [email protected].

Hope this helps!

Atlanta Tax Expert
    It is not that I'm a pessimist just cautious because once your money is invested wrongly and you lose it-then ITS GONE that's all I was trying to let them know and you'll have a heck of a time making it back.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2005, 07:49 AM
    ladyandjan:

I grant you that losses are hard to take. However, over the long-term, the average investor has to assume a certain amount of risk in order for his investments to grow sufficiently to outpace the inflation rate.

If this was not the case, most financial planners would advise most of their clients to invest exclusively in Treasury instruments and CDs. Such investments are inappropriate for all but the more elderly investors. Any financial planner worth his salt knows that investing exclusively in the low-growth, low-yield "safe" investments is a sure-fire plan for spending your retirement with inadequate financial assets to live on.

Indications are that robbo51269 is relatively young (less than 30 years of age). That demographic dictates that he/she should be investing in the stock market with a long-term growth bias. Systematic investment methods such as dollar-cost-averaging is, In my opinion, the correct way to invest for the future. While some short-term losses are inevitable, his/her age allows him/her the time to make up that loss when the market rebounds. Putting money in the money market fund and trying to "time" the market is a formula for failure.

Just my humble opinion, but history is on my side.

Atlanta Tax Expert
    shelbie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2005, 12:14 AM
    Its Only $2000 Dollars But What Shares
    Hi everyone, I don't know about the stock market, :confused: but I was wondering if anyone has any info for me regarding buying shares.. which are the best .etc... :rolleyes: I know its not heaps of money, but enough for me to invest at the moment...

Hope someone can help
    shelbie :)
    dragnflyangell Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Jun 26, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Your money
    You could give it to me. LOL Sorry just having a little fun.
    [tK] Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2005, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyandjan
    Hilary Clinton just made a remark 2 weeks ago that the U.S. is so heavily in debt to other countries that our economy is in a bad way
    Invest your money in Europe, the economy there will stabilize.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 30, 2005, 12:32 PM
    Shelbie:

Without a lot more information, it is hard to advise you on investing $2,000.

However, the easiest way to invest that sum of money and get adeqaute diversification is to invest in a mutual fund, preferably an index fund which will mirror a broad index of the stock market, like the S&P 500.

There are literally hundreds of index funds you could use. If you post or e-mail me (at [email protected]) more info (your age, annual salary, marital status, job description, level of debt), I can give you more specific advice.
    harveymasons Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2005, 06:21 AM
    Hello Atlanta tax expert,

I saw your post regarding the people who had some money to invest and I also have 20,000 sitting in a savings account earning 3.50 apy.

I would like to put it into an investment vehicle that will yield more money then that..

Couple of things...

Currently I make 45k, my wife makes about 50k

We both have 401k plans at work which we contribute via DCA w/ pre tax dollars.

Other then that I don't really own any other investments but would really like to invest this 20,000 in the market.

I was thinking about a high yield bond fund but really don't know that much about them and how they work. The other choices were mutual funds and or an index fund like you had mentioned..

IF you could point me in the right direction it would be most helpful.

Lastly, and probably an important thing to mention is this: in 4-5 years we plan on pulling this money out of wherever it is and using it along with any money we make selling our current house to purchase a larger home.

Your help and time is greatly appreciated,

Regards,
    Harvey
    kettamaqua Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 01:13 AM
    Rather than bore you with long drawn out answers, I will tell you the safest thing to do. Invest in semi-annual bonds. Roll over your payments and ride it out for whatever term you feel is right for you. 1year, 5, 10? If it is a 10 year and is going great, they may call it but that just means its doing so well, they can't let it out any longer. Just another option. They flourish off inflation and well look that the time this country is in...
    kettamaqua Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 01:15 AM
    Or invest in India, China, and Japan... those markets are exploding onto the scene... mainly China as of now. Buying currency is good option too.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Hello Robbo:

If you don't need the money tomorrow, buy 1 oz. gold coins, such as Krugerands and put them away. They're priced around $750 each today, so you can get 10. They were worth about $400 a year ago. In my view, they'll be worth $2,000 a piece shortly.

Of course, I could be wrong.

excon
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 1, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyandjan
    It is not that I'm a pessimist just cautious because once your money is invested wrongly and you lose it-then ITS GONE that's all I was trying to let them know and you'll have a heck of a time making it back.
    I sort of agree with "lady." Prior to the infamous stock market crash in the earlier half of the 20th century, I'm sure that those who were invested in the market had an optimistic outlook else they would have had all of their money invested on that fateful day. However, those kinds of major depressions don't happen every day so I don't like to be too pessimistic or too optimistic. I like to put a little money in a lot of places. Some in gold and silver; some in the money market; some in CDs; some in barter goods. Barter goods? Yes, if the economy does happen to collapse, hungry people won't be too interested in your money... they would rather have food or water. Historically, salt, bar soap, cigarettes, and other highly desirable trade goods have been worth more than gold and silver and paper money is worth the paper it's printed on. Just ask the Confederates after the War Between the States (sometimes called the Civil War).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 TH8320 wiring [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2-stage heat, one stage cool heat pump. I am trying to wire this thermostat but it is not working. I called a professional and she told me to wire it as follows, but the heat will never kick on no matter how long I wait. Left Side Heat Pump Y2-No wire L-No wire E-No wire...

View more questions Search