Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samir123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2014, 12:17 AM
    Health issue
    Dear sir,

My father age 87, went through hip replacement but after operation he was talking incident of arounf 30 yrs back for few seconds and again come back to normal .

But today after nearly 2 months from opration he is suddenly acting very different. He is feeling dark ness and talking continuously about past and also having fear that some 2 person is coming. If some body is standing in front also he is not able to recognise them
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 24, 2014, 08:08 AM
    I don't think the surgery did this to him, but it could have contributed. This sounds like a brain disorder. Has he seen his doctor after this surgery. What post operative care has he received? You really need to get him to the doctor.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 24, 2014, 08:20 AM
    Post anesthesia can cause dementia onset in elderly people. Hence the resistance of some doctors to do surgery using general anesthesia on some of the geriatric population.

Having ng said that, he has had a mental status change. This is considered emergent. If you can't get him to his doctor today, consider the ER as this could also be a symptom of infection in the elderly.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2014, 10:23 AM
    A few seconds of confusion after hip replacement for an 87 year old man doesn't sound very out of the ordinary to me, and that is just based on seeing a few confused relatives in the recovery room. Maybe you meant for a few minutes as a few seconds isn't enough time to determine anything.

Two months later, he is acting very differently. I don't understand why you even suspect a connection. If by any chance you are thinking about malpractice, the chances of proving that are slim and none.

I apologize in advance if I misconstrued the way you presented the question (what was the question?) and I don't doubt that you are concerned about your father, but I don't understand why your first thought wasn't to get him immediate medical attention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rottweiler Health Issue [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old rottweiler. At first he started getting sores & scabs around his neck and nose. After a round of amoxicillan, he now has what looks like a bad case of hives but in his ears. Just today he is starting to limp. Not sure what is going on but would love some insight as to how I can...

Family member with a paranoid mental health issue? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a family member that seems to be having some mental health issues.She feels everyone is out to get her in workplace and school.She hears voices making negative comments and sounds.She only seems to complain of hearing voices at home.she says people are bugging her house and when she goes...

Health issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have already had a regular period this month, I started on the 5th. Well I'm worried because I just started spotting a little bit today the 23rd.. and its not time for my period. I have been sexually active also. Could u please tell me why this is or what could be the cause?

View more questions Search