Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beppy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2014, 02:02 PM
    Can the landlord change change a verbal lease on a whim by not allowing use of laundr
    Can a landlord change a verbal lease on a whim (because he said so was his response). We agreed to $100 a week for a room, laundry, kitchen and living room privileges. After 2 months of paying the $100 per, he decided I couldn't have any privileges other than the room and bathroom. Am I allowed to reduce my rent since initially I had use of the items listed above, but no longer can use them?

Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 02:18 PM
    Any question about tenant rights must specify the state, as laws vary. But in general a verbal lease is typically treated like a month-to-month lease, so your landlord could change the rules with 30-days notice. Conversely you could decide to move out with only 30-days notice without any penalty. In some states the time period is even shorter. I would suggest that you point out the 30-day rule to the landlord in an effort to have access for at least that bit of time, and if this is an important issue to you it gives you time to find another apartment.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 02:22 PM
    The term "verbal lease" is sort of an oxymoron. What you have is a tenancy-at-will (also known as a month-to-month tenancy). And, since the tenancy is only for the room & bathroom (if that- I assume you don't have exclusive occupancy of the bathroom), that is all that the landlord must let you keep until he or she decides to ask you to leave and serves you with a "notice to quit". This notice can be delivered to you without cause (indeed on a whim) an will require you to move out within the time stated (normally 30 days but may be different depending on where you are) or be sued for eviction.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2014, 04:48 PM
    Actually, since you pay weekly, you may only have a week to week tenancy. Again it depends on local laws. But since you pay weekly, It is likely your tenancy can be changed with a weeks notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had a 220v and my landlord change it to a 110v and now I need to change it back [ 4 Answers ]

I had a 220 outlet for a a/c unit and my landkord change it to a 110v for smaller unit. Now we want to change it to a 230v 15 amp. For a a/c unit what do I need to do.

Can a landlord in NJ change the lease when a renewal is up or decide not to renew? [ 11 Answers ]

There is a tenant above us that is making extreme amount of noises. We are the resident manager for the building in NJ. We approached her to please keep it down while I was pregnant and sick, it got worse. Now my daughter is 3 months old and is waken up all hours of the night and day. The owner...

Does landlord bear responsibility allowing a lease to get far behind without evicting [ 2 Answers ]

Landlord worked with leasee whose business was struggling. 2 year lease expired, but, leasee still owed about 5 months rent. Landlord allowed tenants to stay on month to month basis (contract not resigned, but, conditions remained the same). Tenants made efforts to catch up, but, could not....

Landlord able to charge fee on Lease change? (adding a person to lease) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently living with 2 other people in a small house and our lease ends in August. All of us are on the lease. Due to work, I am leaving the space at the beginning of June and therefore am interested in having a different person take my spot for the remaining 3 months. ...

Landlord allowing one tenant to break a verbal agreement but not other tenants [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a landlord to have a verbal agreement with all tenants in a two family house and break the contract for some of the tenants and not others? In the two family house that I live in (where I have no written lease, only a verbal agreement that we will pay the rent on the first of each...

View more questions Search