Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Jan 23, 2014, 11:56 AM
    Windows 8 question.
    I have an Acer laptop with an OEM version of Windows 8 x64. I accidentally dropped it, and killed the HDD. I will be getting a replacement HDD soon, but I'm wondering how to go about re-installing Windows 8. From the little research I've done they are now embedding the product key on the BIOS. I'm wondering how I can go about obtaining this product key so I can re-install Windows when I get my new HDD?

Thank you,

Farva
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2014, 12:07 PM
    Contact Microsoft. Explain the situation.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2014, 08:59 PM
    I know very little about this which I will soon prove, probably.
    And maybe Scott can shed some light on this. I hope.
    I installed a new hard drive in a desktop a year ago, followed the directions and everything went flawlessly.
    Then I loaded the windows operating system and a ton of updates since the Windows disk was several years old. I am not sure if the updates loaded automatically or if I started them. But a virus came on and took the computer over. I assumed it got in with the updates but see sentence one above.
    I should have turned on or obtained some protection but I am not sure I ever got an opportunity.
    Is this a potential problem for farvaknowsbest?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2014, 05:19 AM
    The problem here is the OP does not seem to have the product key for his device. This should have come with the device and may even be on a sticker on the device. If the key is embedded in the BIOS then there should be no problem as Win 8 should just read the BIOS. But the only way to get the key would be to contact Microsoft.
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Jan 24, 2014, 08:01 AM
    Ok that's what I was wondering if Windows would just automatically pick up the key from the BIOS and activate on it's own. If that's the case then that's what I needed to know.. Thanks!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 30, 2014, 07:26 PM
    If you are the one buying the new HDD I would suggest getting a SSD for your laptop. Just be sure to back up on external drive often so you dont lose anything important or on a cloud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Movie Maker Question [ 3 Answers ]

Hey people long time since I've been here last... Well I have a question... Not sure if it belongs under 'Movies' though.. OK how do you, or can you, speed up or slow down a movie/video clip in Windows Movie Maker... and if you can't do it there.. where? Or how? Would really help me >.>

Windows 98/Harddrive Question [ 4 Answers ]

Good Morning, If anyone would be able to assist me I would greatly appreciate it. My PC just stop powering on all of a sudden. I was wondering if I can just go by another hard drive or do I have to install a brand new mother board all together. In addition, is there anyway I can retrieve data...

Wondows XP, windows question [ 8 Answers ]

Recently whenever I open a window it is minimized. This happens with all previously used windows. Is there a way to set my PC so all windows will open maximized?

Windows XP Professional Question [ 6 Answers ]

I have Windows XP Professional, and I was just wondering if there is a way where I can open up imesh, or winmx to download songs and then log out, but the songs will keep downloading while someone else s on the computer? Thanks.

View more questions Search