Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 09:13 PM
    Any advantage of filing as resident?
    I was on F1 till May and then OPT from June to September. H1b active since 1st October.

I have been told by a few people that I can file as a resident or a non resident?

Now I was wondering if there any advantages of filing as a resident?
    (I have some interest income which will not be taxed if I file as a non-resident but I am not sure about other differences such as standard deduction amount)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 09:58 PM
    If you are married, there is a BIG advantage to filing as a resident because you can file a joint return.

Joint returns are NOT allowed for non-resident alien returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advantage of graded tax slabs for non-resident aliens [ 2 Answers ]

How is a non-resident alien taxed in the US - does he get the advantage of graded tax slabs - 10% up to XX then 15% and so on or does he pay a flat tax?

Filing status for resident alien but part year resident in VA state ? [ 11 Answers ]

I have question related to my Virginia state filing status as resident or non-resident or PartYearResident. I am single and lived in Virginia from 2005 to 2010 as a resident(alien). I moved out of VA on June 2010 to my home country i.e India and donot plan to go back USA. My stay in VA in 2010...

Dual status return non resident single and resident married filing [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1-OPT till oct-2009 (exempt) and hence was considered non resident for tax purposes. I moved to H1B and am currently employed under this visa. Since I spent > 183 days in the US I am a resident for tax purposes from oct-dec 2009. I think I should file dual status tax return for this tax...

OPT - H1B Tax Filing, Resident or Non-Resident and Implications [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Please help me, I am in a complex situation. Like so many H1-B visa holders, I was on OPT (F1) till Sep 30th 2009 and my H1 started from Oct 1st 2009 and I worked whole year for a single company but in two states. In what status do I have to file my taxes for 2009, is it Resident or...

Any advantage to paying non-resident NY state tax? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in NYC with my mom and just recently secured a job in NYC. I have the option in using my dad's NJ address on my employment records. Is there a huge advantage and savings in doing this, understanding that I will have to pay both NJ state resident income tax and also NY state nonresident...

View more questions Search