Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ns83 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 05:17 PM
    Amend 2012 tax after spouse got H1B
    I filed my 2012 tax return as non resident alien (as I didn't meet SPT) as Married Filing Single in CA. My wife was on H4 visa in 2012.
    In 2013 my wife got her H1B and is working in NJ.

1. Can I amend my 2012 Federal and State tax with my wife's SSN now and amend return as Married Filing Jointly?

2. How should we go for filing 2013 tax as we live in different states. Can we still file as Married filing Jointly for federal tax?

3. How should we go for 2013 State tax filing?

Thanks,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 06:26 PM
    If you were in the U.S. for the month of December in 2012, you CAN amend the 2012 return to file a joint return. You will have to declare ALL world-wide income earned in 2012.

You can also file a joint federal return even though you are in separate states. It is a bit complicated, but not impossible.

I would need to know which states are involved to give sound advice.

If you need professional, email me at the email address in my profile.
    ns83 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2014, 02:48 PM
    Thanks for your reply Atlanta Tax Expert.

I'm currently in CA state and my wife works in NJ state. Is it possible?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 08:46 PM
    Yes, it is very possible.

You both would file as part-year residents of the state in which you are working. Only the income earned in each respective state would be taxed, though BOTH salaries would be reported. This will cause the tax rate to be a bit higher than normal, but nothing extreme.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self on h1b, spouse on f1-opt for 2012 filing jointly [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Atlanta Tax Expert, Self on h1b, wife on f1opt which ends this week. Been filing jointly as resident alies for past years. Trying to file taxes for 2012. Wife's employer was not withhelding social and medicare taxes all through her opt (apr12-apr13). She is currently working with her...

Dual status in 2012 tax year, F1 to H1b. Tax help please [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I was in F1 in year 2012 until October-14 then my status changed to H1B in October-15. 1. should I file 1040NR 2. can I claim tax treaty exemption of 5950 Thank you for your help

Federal tax calculator 2012 for h1b visa holders [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I saw your reply and those were really helpful. I am here on H1B with wife on H4. I came to US on 29th AUG 2012. My monthly income is nearly $6500 and currently in state of NY. 1) Can you please help me to understand my Federal tax for year 2012 as well as State tax for 2012? 2) If...

Tax for self on H1B and spouse on H4 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in US since the first week of December 2008 on H1B visa and was accompanied by my spouse who is on H4 and does not work. While filing the returns for year 2008, do I need to apply ITIN for my spouse as she is not eligible for SSN. Some one has suggested to me that I need not...

2007 Tax filing Self:H1B, Spouse: H4 - H1B [ 3 Answers ]

Really appreciate all the help you guys are providing here. I did search through the forum and it did enhance my tax knowledge a bit. Please go through my story and let me know your suggestions. *Was on F1 student from aug 2001 to June 2006 and was filing 1040nr/1040nr-ez all those years. *Left...

View more questions Search