Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollyalex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 05:02 PM
    91 Civic Pickup Coil issues?
    We recently got some really cold weather and my battery is 3 years old so I have had to jump my car to get it going, no big deal until I can afford a new battery. About a week ago I jumped my car and let it run for about 15 minutes, upon trying to take off my car choked and died. When I tried to restart it it flooded and backfired. The next day I tried starting it again and it started just fine, it drove perfectly fine as well. After driving for about 15 minutes I went to the gas station to fill up, left the engine running, when I returned to my car and tried to take off, same thing, car chugged and choked out without moving an inch. I have been told this is due to the pickup/ignition coil in the distributor as my car starts and runs fine until it gets warm. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2014, 07:51 PM
    I'd replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil inside the distributor. I recommend replacing these problematic components every 125,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. Be sure to apply silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the new ICM; otherwise, it won't last long. The ICM is likely the real culprit. This is the ideal time to, also, replace the rotor and distributor cap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil in distributor pickup coil area [ 3 Answers ]

Could someone tell me why and how oil would get into the pick-up col are

92 honda civic no spark new coil. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, New to the forum hopefully someone can help. I have a 1.5l automatic 92 civic. I was driving down the street the other day sitting at a light, no problems at all, and my car just up and dies. I turn the ignition on and can hear the fuel pump the car turns over fine lots of power. I...

Ohm value of 91 civic ingnition coil [ 1 Answers ]

I have read on several sites including this one that the coil should have a value of .3-.8 ohms or toss it. I have replacer the igniter and no spark and the coil shows 1.1 ohms. I have measured 4 different new coilds at 2 auto parts stores and they all show 1.0 ohms? I connected a standard coil...

95 Civic, Igniter and coil, or just one? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey (TX, hopefully), I saw one of your replies about a '98 civic whose CEL works along w/ the fuel pump, but it won't start and you suggested to replace the coil and the igniter. I was wondering if there's a way to check if it's just one of the two that is acting up, besides installing one at a...

View more questions Search