Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smorse51090 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 01:55 PM
    Constant joint pain + popping
    I have had joint pain and popping for years now. My hips and shoulders mainly but occasionally my knee as well. My hips and shoulders are so bad, they pop multiple times during the day, and sometimes when I'm sleeping I feel pain and have to pop them to relieve the pain. I can pop my shoulder endless times in a row. Sometimes I have to get on the floor and move my legs in a certain way so my hips will pop to relieve aches. I drink plenty of milk and take daily multivitamins. I'm only 23 so I'm worried as to why this is happening. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 22, 2014, 02:18 PM
    We can't know what your genetics might be, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, etc. But here's a bit of information on popping joints from wikipedia:

"The physical mechanism causing a cracking sound produced by bending, twisting, or compressing joints is uncertain. Suggested causes include:

• Cavitation within the joint—small cavities of partial vacuum form in the synovial fluid and then rapidly collapse, producing a sharp sound.
    • Rapid stretching of ligaments.[1]
    • Intra-articular (within-joint) adhesions being broken.[1]

Synovial fluid cavitation has some evidence to support it.[2] When a spinal manipulation is performed, the applied force separates the articular surfaces of a fully encapsulated synovial joint, which in turn creates a reduction in pressure within the joint cavity. In this low-pressure environment, some of the gases that are dissolved in the synovial fluid (which are naturally found in all bodily fluids) leave the solution, making a bubble, or cavity, which rapidly collapses upon itself, resulting in a "clicking" sound. The contents of the resultant gas bubble are thought to be mainly nitrogen.[3] The effects of this process will remain for a period known as the "refractory period", which can range from a few seconds to some hours while it is slowly reabsorbed back into the synovial fluid. There is some evidence that ligament laxity may be associated with an increased tendency to cavitate.[4]
    The snapping of tendons or scar tissue over a prominence (as in snapping hip syndrome) can also generate a loud snapping or popping sound.[1]"

Why you have this in as many joints as you do I have no idea, nor do I know why you would be producing excess nitrogen in your synovial fluid.
    Another section of wikipedia on knuckle-cracking says that the gas in the synovial fluid is carbon dioxide. I don't know if this is a contradiction, or if the NORMAL gas is CO2 and the abnormal gas is nitrogen, in addition to CO2.
    Click on the link for ligament laxity. Perhaps you can sense that this might apply to you.

Of course it might be something else entirely. What country are you in? Can you see an orthopedist?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smorse51090 View Post
    . I drink plenty of milk and take daily multivitamins. I'm only 23 so I'm worried as to why this is happening. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Seems you are overloaded on calcium which can cause joint pain; as well as multivitamins. Our bodies only accept so many vitamins that are not needed, deleting the rest that are not required.

You need to spend the money with your doctor for a complete physical and blood work.

We can't diagnose you. We don't know your previous medical history, but you are too young to be having this problem and suppose you not telling us what brought this on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant Back Pain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a constant (daily for months) throbbing pain in my back from my shoulder blades down to lower spine. Nothing I have tried (heat, cold packs, stretching etc) has helped any. Sitting, standing and laying are all the same with standing being the most painful The pain is so bad it is hard to...

Stomach Pain (Constant) [ 1 Answers ]

About a week or so ago I ate something that didn't do me too well. For a week I had been having diarrhea, as well as nausea. My bowel movements are somewhat better, but my stomach has been hurting really bad. I have upper abdominal pain, it radiates left to right. I feel bloated all the time, can't...

Constant pain [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 30 yrs old I just had surgery to lift my bladder couple months ago I have an overactive bladder also the put me on vesicare I ve had 3 uti s since surgery and this constant pain down there I only go to the bathroom a little bit at a time sometimes I can't go at all but feels like I do I can't...

ON-going Pain and Popping in Knee [ 5 Answers ]

:mad: About 3 months ago I was at work and bent down to pick something up. My foot was planted on the ground and my knee seemed to twist to the side and make an EXTREMELY loud popping noise. It was VERY painful and I began to feel dizzy and nausious immediately after. The next day my knee was...

Popping and pain in knee. Ouch! [ 1 Answers ]

About 3 months ago I was at work and bent down to pick something up. My foot was planted on the ground and my knee seemed to twist to the side and make an EXTREMELY loud popping noise. It was VERY painful and I began to feel dizzy and nausious immediately after. The next day my knee was a...

View more questions Search