Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donohue1219 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2014, 01:13 PM
    Please help troubleshooting Honda Accord EX V6 losing power/racing problems.
    Hi, I'm looking for help with my '99 honda accord ex v6. It will be driving and all of a sudden lose power and the rpms drop way down. And then, if you're foot is still on the gas, it races to get back up to speed, causing an almost stall and then a racing lurch forward. This pattern continues and sometimes disappears after a bit. We have shifted down into 3rd gear and had the problem clear up momentarily, though it feels like it's running roughly. At other times, 3rd gear has made no difference. We took it to an import repair place nearby that comes highly recommended. The are no codes to go by since there has been no check engine light. They assumed it was transmission and we know that we've had problems with that for the last 100,000 mi. So they just replaced it. We just picked it up and on our way home, it had the same issue. Help! We recently had valve gasket covers replaced... don't know if there could be a connection?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2014, 02:40 PM
    I think it is a simple problem that will be solved by replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. Be sure to apply silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the new ICM.
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Jan 20, 2014, 03:58 PM
    Have someone perform a EBP test for you. EBP is short for exhaust back pressure. I suspect you have a faulty catalytic converter where the substrate is rolling around inside, sometimes causing a restriction, which may explain your stalling symptoms.

You can even purchase a EBP test kit online from eBay sellers for around $50. The test involves removing the oxygen sensor and installing the adapter in its place and attaching the gauge. You will then operate the engine. Ideally, you'll want to see no more than 1psi @ idle and no more than 1.5psi @ 2,500rpm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder has been losing power when driving on the highway. [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having trouble starting my 1998 accord. Also when I am driving on the highway it often times when I am excelerating will loose all power and all gauges will drop to nothing. I have to put it in nuetral and try to restart when I am driving. It is an automatic. Is this the fuel filter,...

1992 Honda Accord losing coolant [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX 4dr that is losing a ton of fluid from the passenger side of the motor toward the wheel well. I just installed a new radiator and lower radiator hose and thought that I had fixed the problem. Came out of my house today and found a puddle under the car....

1999 Honda Accord losing power at 50-60mph [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm driving and reach 50-60mph my car starts to deccelerate? Any ideas?

Having problems with TV losing power [ 3 Answers ]

Sylvania tv/dvd/ht less than a year old will not stay on. When power is turn on screen is black and shows digital TV but will disconnect on its own

View more questions Search