Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kviall1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2014, 11:38 AM
    Extremely Loud Cracking Noie In Ceiling.
    I live in a wood and stucco bungalow-type house in Northern California. It does not snow here (except in extremely rare cases). I bought the home about 8 years. When I first moved in, I noticed some cracking noises in the ceiling. Lately, the noise has gotten much worse -- in fact it has awakened me from a deep sleep at night. Should I be concerned? I had a home inspection done when I purchased the property and there was no report about any structural problems.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2014, 06:56 AM
    Hi Kviall

If it isn't the building falling apart and you don't see large cracks developing in any walls or ceilings then the only next logical answer is simple expansion, contraction and settling of the building. As you now know, expansion, contraction and settling of the building can get quite loud and inconvenient at times!

If you are really concerned beyond that, it shouldn't be hard to bring a general contractor in to take a quick peek and see if there are any real concerns.

Good luck!

Mark
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2014, 08:31 AM
    In consideration of record breaking cold that was and maybe still is affecting various areas, not sure if N. CA got a shot of that or not, I would recommend that you try this part of Mass's recommendations
    "If you are really concerned beyond that, it shouldn't be hard to bring a general contractor in to take a quick peek and see if there are any real concerns."

Someone should at least take a good look around up there to insure that some component of the framing hasn't contracted off its designed means of support.
    And they need to be careful where they step until they get a good look with adequate lighting. Good luck.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 21, 2014, 11:35 AM
    I'm the type who takes a look around and if I don't see anything wrong, it's just noise all wooden structures make at times.
    Here's the thing: You can call a contractor and tell him your attic is making noises. A good one will explain contraction/expansion and tell you to let him know if you find anything. A bad one will find something wrong even if there isn't, just so he can charge you. Some good ones will come to look, of course, but how fair is that, when they aren't getting paid for it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House cracking, loud pops, cracks, noise, day and night [ 1 Answers ]

Too have the same problem very very loud cracks and pops coming from different areas of the house day and night. I have to close my bedroom door at night to sleep it's so loud. Any help or advice would be helpful, Who do I get to look into this problem, could it be from termite damage? I live in...

Loud cracking sounds in floor of house [ 2 Answers ]

We built our home in 2003. It is a crawl space one-story home. Within the first year, the house started making random LOUD booming sounds in floor in dining room- really with weather change/morning sun, etc. The LOUD booming sounds have now spread throughout the home (6 yrs. Later) and occur...

Loud cracking noises from floor [ 2 Answers ]

I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story apartment building. Once the weather got cooler in October (It's in California, so it's not THAT cold.), the floor above began making really LOUD cracking noises when the tenants above walk around. The cracking noises are loud enough to wake me and the sound...

VERY LOUD CRACKING noises in our 58 year old home [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 58 year old ranch style home that is on a full basement. This past year we've been noticing EXTREMELY LOUD cracking noises within our walls. Sometimes they are so loud at night that they wake me up. The noises are real... our girls have even heard them and have asked why the walls...

Furnace Extremely Loud When AC is On [ 3 Answers ]

About 2 months ago we turned our AC on for the first time this year. We noticed that after about 15-30 minutes, the furnace/central air unit makes a very loud, low pitched humming noise that does not stop until we turn off the AC. This doesn't happen when we have the Heat on, and it didn't happen...

View more questions Search