Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacye1emeana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Can my husband adopt my son
    I live in louisana with my son, my husband, and my daughter. I am looking into my husband adopting my son. His father and I were never married and have a court order for visitations and child support. He has not seen our son in almost two years or paid child support in almost the same time. I got married in may 2005 and told the father about the marriage. But the problem I have is that I never told him where we would be moving to or gave him the phone numbers. My question is would it still be possible for my husband to adopt my son? The father just found out where we are and is trying to get info on our family. He has a very violent history, including with myself and a past girlfriend. So like I said would it still be possiable for my husband to adopt?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Your son's bio dad must agree to the adoption and give up his rights. This can't happen in secret. You may be in violation for not telling him about the move since there were court ordered visitation rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Ok, first the father not seeing his son, since you ran off and did not tell him where you were is not going to look good in court. Sorry
    Next if you are not getting child support why not, you should have been filing in court to get the money your son is intitlted to also.

Now OK the boys dad does not visit or pay. But did you have court permission to move, and take the boy out of visitation area for the father. The father can actually bring suit on that in family court if that was a provision.

But at this time, you are going to have to contact the boys father and get him to give up his rights to the child ( of course if he understands he does not have to pay child support and if he does not sign you will hunt him down for all the back suport, it may help)

But lets review what the judge will see, he has not seen the boy, but he did not know where the boy is, he is trying to find his son but you won't tell him where he is. Not picking at you but this is what the boys father will be presenting in court.

So actually some talking nice to him to get him to sign may not be a bad thing right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. The...

My husband wants to adopt my 3 year old son [ 1 Answers ]

My son's biological father was physically and mentally abusive to me and my son I left him and filed an order of protection against him I haven't seen or made contact with him since, now it has been almost three years and I recently married my husband and he wants to adopt my son is there any way...

Can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old son and my husband is not his father,but his real father didn't want anything to do with him so I got sole custody of him ,but now since he didn't pay his child support the courts sent us papers saying we have to go to court for support violation!now his father is playing games ...

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. ...

View more questions Search