Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoppy79 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Shower missing s-trap
    Our shower in our upstairs bathroom does not have an s-trap. Is there a more simple fix to this than tearing out the entire shower?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Shower don't usually have an S trap but they are trapped in the space below your floor. Take us back in time and tell us how you made this discovery and how does the shower currentky operate.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 07:23 PM
    You shouldn't have to tear the shower out, just cut a moderate hole in the ceiling below. ''S'' traps are a thing of the past. Trouble is, to instal the code compliant ''P'' traps, you have to have a vent where it turns from horizontal to vertical after the trap. If the stack it drains into doesn't have a vent, it could be a mess.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Unless your shower drain sets over a wall or a chase I doubt very much that a "S" trap's applicable. Besides, "S" trap are illegal in every state and Canada. How old is your house? Have you pulled the shower strainer and checked to see if there's water down there? Put a stick down there and measure the water level. If there's 2 or 3 inches of water down there then you're trapped. If not then you have a direct connection to the sewer allowing sewer gas to enter your house. Have this fixed at once for your families health. Good luck, Tom

Apr 3, 2007, 07:36 AM
    My apologies--it is actually a p-trap that it is missing. We currently have the drain covered when not in use, but if we take it off, we tend to get a sewage smell emitting from it.

We have a crawlspace behind the shower, so I'm curious as to whether the trap needs to be directly under the shower, or if it can be extended to a more-accessible location.

Apr 3, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Yoppy, can you see the drain under the shower from the crawl space? Still not trap? You may still have a trap but the water level has dropped to the point that gas can get inside. Pour a bucket of 1:3 fresh bleach and water into the drain, recover it and check it tomorrow for gas. The trap should be under the shower but we don't know who did the work. It might be found in your crawl.

Apr 3, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I have tried the bleach to no avail. The previous owners mentioned that they didn't think a trap was initially installed.

Apr 3, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Once you get a chance to inspect in the crawl let us know if you found any new info. If there is really no trap you have a previous homeowner engineered installation. A plumber would have installed a trap. If the drain extense into the crawl you can add a trap with a mechanical vent. It will not be as good as a trap directly beneath the shower but it will cure your gas issue. Are the pipes iron or pvc?
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Apr 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yoppy79
    Our shower in our upstairs bathroom does not have an s-trap. Is there a more simple fix to this than tearing out the entire shower?
    Some older homes have the trap in the basement or a craw space

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Drain Trap [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a shower where a bathtub used to exist and the shower drain, including reduction fittings require me to drop the existing trap by 2.75inches. Are there any issues having a trap that drops 6inches? Thanks, Adam

Missing trap ? [ 2 Answers ]

My basement bathroom in the shower drain I feel air coming through and when it rain I can time can hear the water running noise. (Recently I bought this house.) My question is Is it possible the drainer missing a trap. It is OK to keep as it is or I need to do a repair ( no bad smell coming)

Shower Trap [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved into a new house. While crawling through the crawl space on an unrelated issue I noticed that one of the drain lines was leaking. Further inspection showed that the shower in the master bath does not have a trap. Instead the pipe drops about 24 inches straight down (very noisy...

Shower P-trap question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Should the 2 pieces of the shower p trap be in the same plan ? In order to align the p trap with the 2" drain pipe I will need a 135 angle between them. I'd like if possible to avoid one of those short 90 ABS ells. Thanks, Frank

Shower trap [ 4 Answers ]

I read that a dap out (14" x 14" opening) in the foundation slab Is used to access the tub trap. Is a dap out area also used For the shower trap ? Thanks, Lee

View more questions Search