Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asinghal4all Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2014, 10:15 AM
    Showing foreign bank accounts in tax filing.
    Hi,

Me and my family (Indian) are on Green Card and have been living here for more than a year now. My mother is a housewife and my younger brother(18) is student, either of them don't work.
    Before moving here, we have our financial assets in banks not NRO/NRI accounts but in normal savings account there in India. There is one joint account of my brother with mother that rounds about $45K, and mine and dad's have $8000 each. We have only one NRO account of my mom that has not more than $5000.

So, these accounts should be shown in tax filing purposes by my father who will be filing jointly this year ? Please help.

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2014, 10:22 AM
    Yes, the interest from these account must be shown on Schedule B, which is filed with Form 1040.

Additionally, the account information must be reported separately on the FBAR and possibly on Form 8938 with your tax return.
    asinghal4all Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2014, 10:27 AM
    But, my friends have never shown the similar thing from years, and have shown only NRI/NRO if they have more than $10K in account.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 17, 2014, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asinghal4all View Post
    But, my friends have never shown the similar thing from years, and have shown only NRI/NRO if they have more than $10K in account.

It shouldn't really matter what your friends do, it matters what is the correct way.
    Or as my MIL would say "If your friend jumps from a roof, would you jump too?"

You might want to point out to them that they might not have been doing it correclty.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2014, 12:17 PM
    While the FBAR requirement has been around for decades, only in the past few years has the requirement been emphasized. You have been given fair warning! Ignore this requirement at your own risk!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign Bank Accounts [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I understand that we have to fill up the form 90-22.1 if the balance in our foreign bank accounts has exceeded $10,000 anytime during the past year. Do we have to fill up Schedule B for form 1040 too? Thanks.

Filing you.S. Taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? Etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation. Here are the details: 1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan. 2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file. 3. I...

Foreign bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Atlanta tax expert I am on H1B visa and I have a citibank NRI account in India for which I also received 1099 form. My bank balance in this account in 2009 was less than $ 10,000. Do I need to fill Form TD F 90-22.1 Please advise. I would really appreciate a response.

Foreign bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Is UK pension paid into a Mexican bank taxable

View more questions Search