Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    219fuller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2014, 03:14 PM
    What to do about a split earring piercing
    My daughter's earring piercing split through to the bottom of her earlobe, creating a 1/4" gash about a month ago. She just informed me about it, and unfortunately it has healed. What are her options? Can it still be stitched up after so long, or will she always have the split in her ear, rendering it impossible to wear earrings? Thank you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 03:18 PM
    A plastic surgeon should be able to cauterize the wound and then stitch it. This same thing happened to a friend of mine. Sadly for her, the wound kept re-opening, and she gave up. But that was 30 years ago. The things they can do now are much more impressive.

I'd talk to your family doctor first, see if there's anything he can do. If not, he can refer you to a plastic surgeon.

Good luck.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 03:26 PM
    It will heal up by itself, left unattended. A plastic surgeon will not stitch it up. Wearing one earring may not be to a disadvantage. Could be she could be a trendsetter.

It will heal and she should be able to get another piercing.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 03:29 PM
    Actually tickle, it won't heal by itself. My friends never did. And yes, a surgeon will stitch it up, as that's the only way to heal it. Again, that's what my friend did.

The lobe won't magically grow together after a tear. The OP either gets it stitched, or lives with it for life.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 17, 2014, 07:26 AM
    I have never seen them 'magically grow together'; I have seen them 'mend' through a simple healing process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get a stud earring with a needle piercing? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to get my second lobe piercing, I have researched for a couple of years and I have come to the conclusion that piercing needles or canullas are best. However, I do not like hoop earrings, and do not want a barbell, I just want a plain stud. No comments about 'what is the best starter...

Split eyebrow piercing [ 3 Answers ]

So. I've had my piercing for a few months. This morning when I woke up my curved ball was on the bed next to me. I walked to the bathroom and the skin in the front had split. I was wondering if it will grow back and I can just put my piercing back in or will I have to get it re-pierced?

Split eyebrow piercing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello World of body piercings:p!! About almost 8 months ago I finally got my eyebrow piercing :D but today I was combing my hair and my piercing was yanked out :eek: so now I have a split eyebrow piercing :( , I was wondering will the split skin heal quickly so I can but my eyebrow ring back in or...

I have the pair of an earring [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any place that they can make the pair of earring that I have lost?

Name of this earring? [ 4 Answers ]

There is this earring, that I believe CLIPS onto the cartilage. It's a strip made of metal and looks really cool. NO, it is NOT an industrial. I have a picture but its from an anime: http://www.anime-infinity.com/Narumi_Ayumu.jpg And YES, these DO exist. I see many people with them :( I...

View more questions Search