Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bonni318 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2014, 12:08 PM
    I can't turn water valve on toilet to shut water off to put new system in tank it.
    I want to shut off the water valve so I can replace the mechanism inside my tank. I've never touch the valve and it won't move, it seems to be frozen. I don't know what I need to do.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2014, 12:17 PM
    You could change the shut off valve, but if that is something you don't want to tackle, you could also simply shut off the water main to the house, drain the pipes a bit and then install the new tank mechanism. After installation of the new part, turn the water back on, purge the air out of the water lines and and test your work.

How's that sound?

Mark
    Bonni318 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2014, 02:08 PM
    It sounds great but not for me, I think I may need to get a Plummer over to do the valve and add the new fluid master to the tank. I even tried using a little WD-40 to see if that would loosen it but no.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2014, 06:25 PM
    "Overshoot", a nice term for missing the bowl, corrodes the die cast and it seizes the shaft. Loosen the packing nut just a bit, apply WD40 and use a pair of Channel locks turning the handle to the left. If you really have to strain, let a plumber do the job and replace with a 1/4 turn stop valve..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank float valve won't shut off water supply [ 21 Answers ]

It's me with another plumbing question. It's at a house that I am part owner of but which is 5 hours from my house. I am not there, but I know the approximate setup. So there's this 800 gallon wooden water tank that stores water for a small house. The water is pumped from a cistern (supplied by...

1 valve shut off hot water tank valve [ 9 Answers ]

I was just trying to get some Pro's thoughts on, why there would be a shut off valve on the hot line going out of my hot water tank, and no valve on the cold coming in? Is there a reason for this? Is it OK to add a valve on the cold,so I can isolate the tank, by shuting both valves , and would...

Hot Water Heating System Left on With Main Water Valve Shut-off [ 1 Answers ]

Can the hot water heating system be left on with the main water valve shut off while on vacation?

Toilet water shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

My shut off valve to the toilet will not shut the water off and water is leaking from the tank bolts? Can anyone help with the answer to both questions? Thanks

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

View more questions Search