Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newyear2014 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2014, 09:35 AM
    F-1 student Resident v. Non-Resident while AOS pending?
    Hi, I've been on F-1 status since 2011, but at the end of 2013, I applied to adjust my status (i.e. applied for green card), which is currently pending. I have two questions based on my current situations and I would truly appreciate your help.

1. Am I considered "resident" or "non-resident" alien for the tax purpose for the year of 2013?

According to the IRS's "substantial presence test," (Source: Tax Topics - Topic 851 Resident and Nonresident Aliens) it looks like I'm considered "non-resident" as I was an exempt individual (i.e. on F-1 status) for most part of the year. However, based on the IRS's "green card test," it is unclear if I am considered as "resident" (as I have applied for a green card) or if I am considered as "non-resident" (as I don't have my green card in hand yet).

2. If I am considered "non-resident," it is my understanding that I can elect to file as a resident by filing taxes jointly with my resident spouse. What would be the advantages of filing separately/independently as a non-resident, rather than filing jointly with my spouse as a resident?

All benefit I can think of is that I am able to receive withheld SSN and Medicare taxes as a non-resident. However, since my native country has ratified a social security agreement with the US, and as I intend to stay in the US from now on as a resident, I guess I can just file as a resident for 2013 and start paying for my social security taxes. Another reason why I'd rather opt to file jointly as a resident is because it was such a hassle to request withheld SSN and Medicare taxes in the past - my former employer hasn't even been willing to issue a simple letter stating that they haven't refunded my withheld taxes and accordingly, IRS has yet to process my refund request for the year of 2012. Am I missing any other benefits of filing as a non-resident?

Thanks again in advance for your invaluable advice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2014, 12:41 PM
    If you are currently a F-1 student and have been since 2011, then, for 2013, you are still considered to be a non-resident alien, irrespective of the green card application. This being the case, you must file Form 8843 and a non-resident atx return (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ).

You can file jointly and still get the Social Security and Medicare taxes, but you have to go through the process of submitting Form 843 and 8316 AND file as a non-resident FIRST. Once you get the SS and Medicare taxes back, then (and only then) do you amend the 2013 return to file jointly.

I can help with BOTH processes professionally. Email me at the email address in my profile.

Jan 19, 2014, 01:54 PM
    Thank you AtlantaTaxExpert for your great input. I have a follow up question and your response will be greatly appreciated.
    I got married to a US citizen in 2012, and for 2012, when I worked on OPT, I filed 1040NR (married filing separately). Although I also filed Form 843 and 8316 for the year 2012, IRS responded that I submitted insufficient evidence and thus those Forms haven't been processed.

1. If I withdraw Form 843 and 8316 for the year 2012 (and thus do not proceed with SS and Medicare taxes refund), can I earn credits/quarter of coverage for the Social Security purpose for 2012?
    2. If I file jointly as a resident with my spouse for the year 2013, can I earn credits/quarter of coverage for the Social Security purpose for 2013?

As I don't have any foreign income, I would rather file jointly as a resident and start earning SS credits unless there is a huge benefit for me to file separately as a non-resident. Thank you very much for your time in advance!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2014, 02:32 PM
    Yes, you can both file jointly for 2013 and amend to convert your 2012 return to a joint return, then qualify to earn credits for those eigfht quarters in the Social Security system.

Jan 25, 2014, 10:12 PM
    Got it, thanks so much AtlantaTaxExpert!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2014, 12:04 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident alien on F-1 student Visa - do I have to pay New York City Resident Tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a student on a F-1 visa. I'm considered a non resident alien. I live in NYC, should I pay city taxes?

State Tax status. F1 student, resident, non-resident or part-year resident [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert/any tax expert I am a student on F1 status. I graduated from Univ of GA in December 2009. I moved to NC the first week of February 2010 and still in NC till now. Before moving in February I didn't work at all in GA, I was basically just packing my things and searching for...

State Tax status. F1 student, resident, non-resident or part-year resident [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert/MukatA I am a student on F1 status. I graduated from Univ of GA in December 2009. I moved to NC the first week of February 2010 and still in NC till now. Before moving in February I didn't work at all in GA, I was basically just packing my things and searching for jobs...

F-1 student, unsure about resident/non-resident alien status for taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in the US on a J-1 visa from May-July 2005, and came back in August 2006 on a F-1 visa. I am still on the F-1 visa. I was wondering if I should be filing taxes as a resident alien or a non-resident alien for tax year 2010? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search