Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    don_prison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2014, 02:45 AM
    Is it to late to file 8843 form? Is there software available?
    I skipped 8843 filing for the last 2 years. This year I need to file a full tax return because I used to work a part-time job in the campus. I am F1 student who got many doubts of which form to file, and how to calculate the exact sums in my tax return.

My roommate told me that he has found some kind of self-preparation software and I'm intending to try it. It was something like spentax or spritax not sure anyway. What do you think about this kind of tax preparation?

I'm afraid I will do mistakes on my tax return like the last year and this could cost me money I don't know what to do. I have considered the idea for hiring tax expert but this sounds kind of expensive. It would be lovely if you could help me out. Thanks in advance.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 13, 2014, 06:04 AM
    Don,
    I used Cintax back in the day when I was a non-resident alien. Some universities even provide access to it for their students, ask in your (international) student office.
    If you use online preparation services, make sure they are legit (there was a new service that opened last year but I forgot the name).
    Student tax returns are usually not all that complicated, so have a look at publication 519: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf‎

Just prepare the forms 8843 now and send them in. No harm done.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2014, 08:55 AM
    For sure, you need to file Form 8843. If you earned any income while working as a student, you probably need to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

CinTax is a good program and should work if you have a simple W-2 job. If you are paid under Form 1099-MISC, then you should get professional help.

I am available and can be contacted at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On OPT. Do I need to file Form 8843? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear AtlantaTaxPrep, I have been in the US since August 2009 and only worked on OPT in Summer 2012. I did not file any 8843 forms while I was not working here. I am now filing my federal tax returns for 2012 and I was wondering if I should fill out Form 8843 for 2012 (to take into account previous...

Do I need to file IRS form 8843? [ 1 Answers ]

If you were on a guest visa for 192 days. Then we back home to your foreign county for 49 days. Then came back to the U.S. on a student visa for 124 days. Do you still need to file form 8843 with the IRS?

Forgot to file the Form 8843 for 2007. Can I still file it? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I think I need to clarify the question about this. I was in the US from July 2006 to July 2007 with F-1 student visa. I again came back to the U.S. in August 2008 with J-1 trainee visa. I started to prepare for the tax return document (but actually I only need to pay the income...

Need to file form 8843 for 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am F-1 student and I forgot to file the form 8843 last year for 2007. I don't have any income For 2007 and 2008. Hence I want to file form 8843 for bothe 2007 and 2008 this time. Can I do that? If so do I need file any additional forms along with these? Please respond quickly. Thanks...

Did not file form 8843 for 2005 [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert I came to US in 2005 as F1 student.I did not filed the 8843 Form for the 2005 and I had no income in 2005 .I filed form 8843 for year 2006.I have graduated in May 2007 and then started working from Oct 1 on my H1 Can I file form 8843 for year 2005 now? Kindly help me in this...

View more questions Search