Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsteveb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2014, 05:16 PM
    Name of a TV show or movie
    I am trying to remember a movie or TV show I saw as a kid on TV in the 50's or 60's
    It was a love story set in the early 1900's about the kids that were flying the early gliders that looked like the Wright Flyers as I remember. I boy was killed in the end
    Because a scarf his girl gave him for his flight blocked his view. OH NO!
    Does anyone know the name of this film. Thank You
    kouya Posts: 45, Reputation: 6

Jan 13, 2014, 06:05 AM
    Sounds like
    Gallant Journey (1946)

In San Diego, California, Father Ball tells two young boys the story of his childhood friend and one of the city's most famous citizens, John Joseph Montgomery, who, in 1883, was the first American to fly a glider plane. The priest begins his story in 1879, when John began sharing his dreams with Regina Cleary, his sweetheart: John's family dismisses his desire to fly as mere foolishness, and when his father Zachary, an ambitious attorney hints that his son's pursuits will harm his career, John abandons his dream. Regina, however, does not believe Zachary's fears are legitimate, and urges John to continue his work in secret. John agrees with Regina, and, in August 1883, makes his first successful test flight in a contraption that he calls an "aeroplane." When Regina announces to John's family that John made his first flight, Zachary, now the Assistant Attorney General of the United States, urges his son to forget the flying machine and concentrate on his religious studies instead. With the helpful intervention of Father Ball, however, John gets support for his glider invention from Father Kenton, an aviation enthusiast, who gives John a job and provides him with a workshop at Santa Clara College. Time passes, and John, having built many models of his flying machine, looks forward to the day when he will finally be able to test a full-size. John's dream of flying is nearly lost one day when he suffers a dizzy spell and collapses. After being told by a doctor that his dizzy spells will preclude him from ever flying, John feels that he has been denied his true passion and becomes despondent. John later regains his confidence in the glider project when parachutist Dan Mahoney, who performs at carnivals under the name "Professor LaSalle," offers to test John's glider by attaching it to his hot air balloon and releasing it in mid-air. With help from and Father Kenton, Dan makes a successful take-off and soars above the clouds before descending to a perfect landing. Though he later receives many letters of praise for his invention, John finds that he is broke. A short time later, Dan is killed during a test flight, and John again becomes discouraged. John's luck turns from bad to worse when a strong earthquake destroys his glider and much of Santa Clara College. The only possession John is able to salvage from the quake is his gold-panning machine, which he sells for $25,000. After marrying Regina, John is sued by a man who claims that the gold machine belonged to him and that John had no right to sell it. The lengthy trial results in a ruling in John's favor, but the expensive trial leaves him broke again. Undeterred by his misfortunes, John rebuilds his glider, and decides to fly it himself. During the flight, John suffers from another dizzy spell and loses control of the plane. The plane crashes, and John dies a few hours later.

BTW this film is scheduled to air on Turner Movie Classic (TCM) channel on
    FRIDAY JANUARY 17 2014 AT 10:30 PM
    jsteveb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2014, 11:24 AM
    Thank You kouya, I believe that is correct. I saw a short clip on YouTube and it looks like it. I will watch it on tmc Friday. jsteveb
    kouya Posts: 45, Reputation: 6

Jan 13, 2014, 05:14 PM
    Glad I could help... enjoy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What movie is this? Christian kids show/movie, main character is a puppet [ 1 Answers ]

So I'm trying to remember the name of this Christian kids show/movie I watched when I was a little circa late 80s early 90s. I remember it was "real life" except for the main character, who was a puppet (I think he was orange?) At one point the boy's mom told him to clean his room and she set a...

What movie is this? Christian kids show/movie, main character is a puppet [ 1 Answers ]

So I'm trying to remember the name of this Christian kids show/movie I watched when I was a little circa late 80s early 90s. I remember it was "real life" except for the main character, who was a puppet (I think he was orange?) At one point the boy's mom told him to clean his room and she set a...

I am looking for a movie or possible a TV show [ 3 Answers ]

I think this was a movie but it might have been a TV show. All I remember is they are either at a driving range or a really rich guys house. Its not a really driving range but one of the computerize ones. One guy and I can't remember who owes the really rich guy who is also connected to some type...

90's Movie/Show? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm pretty sure it had to have been a show because it was short but I had it on VHS and can't recall watching it on TV... but anyway all I can remember is there were some kind of animals in it, and in the opening I remember it was a shot of a field and there was an apple tree and all trhe animals...

Old show or movie? [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name of a show/ movie from like possibly the 90s. It was about a group of kids that get on a spaceship and they were like stuck on it?

View more questions Search