Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TinaInNYC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2014, 04:11 PM
    Poor roommate situation, how do we handle?
    Only one of the roommates is on the lease however we strongly suspect she doesn't pay nearly as much rent as we do and she doesn't use the money we give her for utilities to actually pay the bills which results in late fees. We have a month to month roommate agreement however she will not share info about the landlord. Is there anything we can do to take over the lease?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 04:27 PM
    Which roommate is on the lease, is it the girl who pays less rent and keeps the money?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2014, 05:18 PM
    Ball asks a very pertinent question. If this roommate is the only one on the lease than SHE is your landlord. You have no right to know anything about HER landlord. Nor does it matter whether she is paying more or less than the others. The others agreed to pay whatever they agreed to pay.

The only thing that does matter is if the utility payments are given to her on time and she doesn't pay the utilities on time, then SHE is responsible for the late charges.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jan 12, 2014, 11:20 PM
    I don't think you can really do anything if you are not on the lease. You will need the landlord's permission. Maybe ask your roommate to be on the lease when the time comes to renew it. If she doesn't let you in consider leaving. There really is no reason for her not let you in when time comes to renew the lease. If I was in your position, I would pay what I agreed to and then leave as long as I didn't sign any paperwork saying I would stay for a certain amount and pay x amount.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 13, 2014, 04:58 AM
    Anyone can find out who the owner of a building is, at the city hall deed or tax department. He or she could be the landlord, or it could be done by a manager or mgmt co.
    You have no say in how much rent she can or can't charge you, since it's her rental - UNLESS you live in a rent controlled area. NYC has a long, long list of tenant rights that are separate from NYS laws.
    If your rental is furnished, however, even with just a bed and dresser in your bedroom, in most places, all bets are off, and rent control doesn't apply. I don't know about NYC specifically in this regard.
    You do have a right to refuse to pay late fees on utilities, and I would demand to see the bills so that you only pay what you owe. Keep careful proof of what you paid and when.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Situation [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I live in Los Angeles, CA and I have a situation. I have 2 people living with me and have been causing me problems for the past month. I gave them notice the week after they moved in because the roommate and I kept clashing everyday. Now what is going on... it's almost time for them to...

How to handle the situation [ 3 Answers ]

So a husband takes out a loan without his wife knowing. $9000. Gives it to his mother. Wife finds out. MIL works at the bank, has a history of looking at their account. Has transferred money out of their account to help other family members. Wife decides she has had enough. Wife wants to leave her...

How To Handle This Situation [ 11 Answers ]

So check it out. I've known this girl now for about 10 years and we've always had a thing for each other.. . we went out in grammar school for about a year.. . she was pretty much my first puppy love. We kind of broke it off after grammar school because we were going to attend different schools. ...

How to handle the situation [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Struggling With A Relationship Of 4 1/2 Years That Has Gone Bad. When I First Met Him I Didn't Like Him That Much Because I Had Just Gotten Out Of A Realationship And Was Not Ready. Well Eventually He Grew On Me And We Moved In Together. In The Beginning I Admit I Was A Little SKEPTICAL And...

View more questions Search