Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeseese Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2014, 11:22 AM
    Taking over a trucking company
    I have a friend I helped start a trucking company... he says were half partners but I'm not on ANYTHING... been at it for three years. I personally own one of the three trucks. the problem being my trucks is successful on its own prof margin aprrox 40 per.. but he will not update any of his equipment. Thus meaning breakdowns and so on... there for the monies go away faster than they come on his side and the company is at a loss as a whole but my truck pulls 125 percent of the weight. what should I do start my own authority, or pay 50,000 dollars for the equipment that is always broke down.. he personally owes too much on the trucks and I don't want them...
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2014, 05:42 AM
    Do you have a partnership agreement? I expect this was a handshake. I would say you should tell him you want out but he can keep his two trucks because they are of no value to you, In this situation you could even throw him a bone, like some cash, just to be rid of the problem. I would expect that if there was a proper distribution of profits/losses based on the earning capacity of the assets you probably own the company anyway but without an agreement, well, how can you tell. You can't get a return if the company is in loss but $50,000 might be a small price to get rid of the problem. Just be patient and keep negotiating him down there must be a point where you could take over the trucks and off load them without losing too much

First thing seperate bank accounts and cash flows if you can. If the truck is your personal asset and not the company's what stops you from walking away, get some legal advice
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2014, 09:03 AM
    So much depends on how the agreement is done.

You say, "you" own your truck?? A partnership, both people would be owners of all trucks.

It sounds like two people who did this without written agreements and without one person being in final charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking over small Owner operator trucking co. [ 2 Answers ]

I have been approached about taking over a small fleet of 5 owner operator trucking co. The owner wants to drop it in my partners lap as well as myself. The problem is he is 75 yrs. Old (the trucking co. Owner) & has a lien of 50K on the co. My thought is we go in & run this co. For 2 yrs...

Trucking Company [ 15 Answers ]

Hey Experts! I am an owner operator currently work for a small company in Chicago. I live in LA County California. I own a big rig and have all my numbers (MC, US DOT). I am trying to start my own company and subcontract other owner operators to drive for me. Can anyone give me advice on how to...

Starting my own trucking company [ 2 Answers ]

I have my own authority and Insurance on the truck that I own. But I don't know of or have the resources to find the right paying loads with the right companies and find the right contract that's needed to keep me rolling all year long.

Trucking company [ 8 Answers ]

How Do I Start My Own Trucknig Company?. any Tips?. or Suggestions?

View more questions Search