Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walterlshearin9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2014, 01:57 PM
    Spectator ions
    I'm very confused about spectator ions. I understand the definition of a spectator ion but I am not clear on how you decipher which cations and anions are the spectator ions.
    For instance:
    KCl+AgNO3--->AgCl+KNO3

I understand that the potassium chloride dissociate into K+ and Cl- and the silver nitrate dissociates into Ag+ and NO3-

My textbook tells me that through metathesis reaction the product becomes AgCl and that the potassium and chloride are the spectator ions but I don't understand why the potassium and chloride ions don't react with one another and join. My textbook says that they are unchanged on both sides of the equation but I don't understand why that is. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    neodarwinian Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2014, 02:07 PM
    Because they are both disassociated in solution.

K^+ ( the cation on both sides of the equation )

and

NO3^- ( the polyatomic anion on both sides of the equation )

In solution these ions are always surrounded by polar water. The AgCl precipitates out of solution as a solid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cricket batsman accidentally hits spectator with his bat [ 1 Answers ]

I seem to recall an incident in which a dismissed batsman, who was leaving the oval, accidentally swung his bat which then hit a spectator in the face.. I just can't seem to find the information anywhere.

Ions [ 1 Answers ]

Changed atoms are ions?

Affecting concentrations of Cr2O4 ions and Cr2O7 ions with acids and bases [ 1 Answers ]

Considering CH3COOH, K2SO4, KOH, NH3, Ca(OH)2 and C2H5OH, why do some affect a concentration of Cr2O4-2 or Cr2O7-2 and others do not?

For every mole of Pb+2 ions that are formed, how many moles of Cl- ions are formed? [ 1 Answers ]

PbCl2(s) = Pb+2(aq) + 2Cl -(aq). For every mole of Pb+2 ions that are formed, how many moles of Cl- ions are formed? I know the Atomic weight is 35.45 but how do you change grams to moles?

-ve Ions [ 5 Answers ]

:) hi.. You know where i can perchase the negative ion shower.. :confused: Please supply me with advice. Thanks

View more questions Search