Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2014, 11:03 AM
    Or Civil law, I can't tell...
    Hello:

A guy pleads guilty to a minor drug offense.. Part of his sentence is to get a drug evaluation, and he DOES!

Years go by, and the guy is stopped for a traffic violation. A warrant appears and his a$$ is hauled off to jail. Come to find out, the court appointed drug counselor, who DID the evaluation, never wrote a report and nothing got submitted to the criminal court. That left the criminal case OPEN, and that's why the guy got busted. He spent the better part of a day in the slam before he got bailed out.

Does he have a case against the drug counselor??

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 7, 2014, 11:17 AM
    Yes, I certainly think so.

I doubt if any sort of qualified immunity would apply.

Is this counselor a governmental employee?
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2014, 11:39 AM
    Hello lawyer:
    Is this counselor a governmental employee?
    Thanks for answering..

He's in private practice, and the defendant paid him out of his own pocket.

excon

PS> To be clear, he wasn't appointed, per se. He was CHOSEN from a list of court approved drug counselors, if that makes a difference..
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2014, 12:23 PM
    Ex,
    The counselor will possibly claim that he sent the report in and the courts lost it or misfiled it.
    And the counselor may be telling the truth.
    Did he send his client a copy of the report when submitted?
    If I were the counselor I would have sent certified and have a receipt that it was delivered.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2014, 01:03 PM
    Hello smear:
    The counselor will possibly claim that he sent the report
    Thanks for your interest.

Nahhh... He already copped to not writing or sending the report. He's real sorry and all, and is scrambling around trying to fix it.

I just don't know if being sorry is ENOUGH..

excon
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2014, 01:42 PM
    No, sorry is certainly not enough to put someone in that position. Recovery of all costs maybe through small claims, at minimum? Or a lawyer willing to take it on contingency.
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil Law [ 1 Answers ]

My 19 y/o son, Joshua, was found dead in Amsler Park/McGregor, Texas on February 16, 2006. McGregor police did not investigate, telling me, "We don't begin an investigation until something suspicious is found." I told the former Interim Chief that the whole thing is suspicious, because my son would...

Are deleted emails saved by email companies for law enforcement or civil law [ 5 Answers ]

I heard that Google keeps your searches (by IP address) for six months or more, Microsoft a year and a half! So I got to thinking about emails. Text is trivially small to store and never delete. And with memory only becoming cheaper and more expansive, the downside for keeping information will...

Civil law [ 1 Answers ]

I have an income execution and I want to file an order to show cause how can I do this

Civil Law [ 3 Answers ]

Can a lawsuit be filed against a person and a judgement entered without the defendant's knowledge? We received no summons or any court documents. If not, where do we go from here?

Civil law [ 2 Answers ]

back in the late 90's, I had a civil lawsuitthat was won by the person taking a civil lawsuit against me. I was paying a certain amount to them monthly but then I had a stroke. As of recently, the lawyers that represented the other person, have been calling and asking for the lump sum(which is a...

View more questions Search