Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2014, 07:03 PM
    How to insulate french doors
    We have six sets of french doors around part of the first floor of our house. They are single pane glass. When it gets cold (like now!), this place stays colder than it should. Are there storm doors made for french doors (72 x 81).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2014, 07:28 PM
    I found a kit or two doing a quick search but no direct seller of French storm doors. To get through this winter try the shrink wrap storm window kits you can get at the box stores, for the doors you can do without opening until spring.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2014, 08:13 PM
    Yes they do make them but you need a center support. Not very attractive but better than nothing. However, I bet you the price for them is equal to a new door and a new double pane Low E door will also get you a tax deduct!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2014, 10:03 PM
    I agree with Brian. It may be less expensive to install doors with insulated glass and will be more attractive then plastic wrap. This will also be a permanent fix.

Chuck
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2014, 04:23 AM
    OK guys. Thanks for the advice. I might try the shrink wrap. Buying and installing six new doors is probably the only legitimate long term fix, but that will have to wait for now.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 7, 2014, 04:23 PM
    Menards just extended their 11% off sale. I bought a $500 gift card with the 1% off so I get sale prices for months. Just saying
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2014, 05:54 PM
    I ordered one of the shrink wrap kits for ten bucks or so. Hasn't come in yet. My big concern is putting it on with the double-sided tape. These are nice doors and I don't want to mess up the finish when the tape needs to come off.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 9, 2014, 07:53 PM
    Installing floor length, heavy drapery is probably the most effective and esthetically appealing thing you could do. Especially if you also installed a valance with a closed top.
    Not necessarily the cheapest though.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2014, 07:15 PM
    Yeah. We are considering that as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condensation on french doors [ 3 Answers ]

Our two sets of double frech doors in the greatroom are getting condensation on the t-asticle area when it is cold outside. This water then drips onto our hardwood floors causing staining. These doors are only 2 years old (Masonite doors). Obviously, this part of the door middle strip between both...

Window Coverings for Double French Doors [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody have any good suggestions for window coverings over a french door window? During the summer, the sun is pounding through those doors. At other times, I would like to be able to catch the view through the doors. I initially considered blinds, but where does the cord go when the...

Exterior french doors [ 4 Answers ]

I am renovating a house that I just bought and want to put in french doors in place of an 8 foot patio slider. I am trying to price them online so that I know that the contractor is giving me an appropriate price-since I live about 2,000 miles from where the work is being done. I can't seem to...

French Doors [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site and it looks pretty good to me. My French doors will not lock. I had foundation repaired. Also had the doors stained and waterproofed and locks won't match up. Who do I call, a Door repair person or a locksmith? Thanks Akia

Replacing French Doors [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have French Doors in my living room leading to the backyard that also includes a third stationary door that won't open. I'm attaching a rough picture of what it looks like. I would like to get rid of at least one of these and possibly even replace two so that there is just a single...

View more questions Search