Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leslie10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2014, 09:17 PM
    My almost 14 year old daughter is experiencing late puberty?
    Hello! So my 13 year old daughter is turning 14 soon and I think she is experiencing late (or "delayed") puberty. She has got no pubic or underarm hair growing, no growth spurt and her menstrual cycle hasn't started. The only sign of puberty she has is her breasts are budding a little but that had started happening since a little more than half a year ago and nothing else has changed about her since then!
    Since fourth grade she had ranked from the average height in the class to the second shortest in the class now (eighth grade). Nearly everyone, both girls and boys had their growth spurts except my daughter who is growing 1.5 inches a year as we measured and is currently about 4"11 and others are probably at least 5"3 in her class.
    So my question is, is this normal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 10:11 PM
    Normal is a hard word? There is no normal, some girl or boy has to be the last one to experience it.

You can of course on the child's normal medical check up, mention this and see what they believe.

As for height, some women ( or men) will be shorter than others also.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 10:25 PM
    Normal is subjective. What might be normal for one girl may not be normal for another. With that said, this is not out of the ordinary.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 6, 2014, 07:49 AM
    Growth spurts? I never had one and stayed short.
    Boys grow much differently from girls.
    She is within statistically normal range. One chart I just looked at shows the bottom of normal for girls 13 is 57" and 14 is 59". So even if she is 4' 11' at 14, she's normal.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2014, 08:08 AM
    It's probably normal for HER. Relax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Five year old daughter who has been experiencing abdominal pain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter who has been experiencing abdominal pain in the belly button area for a couple months now. The pain is getting worse and only occurs at night when it's time for bed. The doc tried putting her on miralax but that hasn't helped. He performed an x-ray and claimed there...

My 6 year old daughter has been inappropriately touched by my 8 year old Niece [ 17 Answers ]

I don't know how to feel about this, so I am asking for help. About 3 months ago, my husband caught my then 7 year old niece touching my daughters private parts. My sister and I talked to both girls and explained that this was inappropriate touching and we thought it was settled. This last weekend,...

My daughter died a year ago and my other daughter went behind the family's back [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter died a year ago and my other daughter went behind the family's back to take custody of her 2 kids. For the last year, the kids have lived with me, not her, but she is collecting SSI and welfare for them and spending it on herself and her boyfriend with not one cent to the kids. What can...

I am a 68 year old white male experiencing pain in my right testicle. [ 1 Answers ]

The pain started last night and does not let up. Have taken IB and also Tramadol to ease the pain, but they do not seem to alleviate the constant pain. The pain level is probably about 5-6 on a scale of 10. Have never experienced this kind of pain unless I accidentally hit myself, but the pain...

Puberty for a 12 year old girl [ 7 Answers ]

OK so I have think I am fully done with puberty but not growing I'm 12 I have gone through all the signs of puberty I got pubic hair since I was 8 it was embarrassing it still is because I have a lot of hair down there I want it all gone I can't tell my mom about this it would practically kill me 2...

View more questions Search