Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2014, 10:01 AM
    OPT student Refund
    Hi ,
    My name is Sandeep, I have been on OPT since may and moved from Pittsburgh to California in may to take up a full time job. My annual salary is 100K including bonus and relocation. The Federal tax I have paid for the 7 months that I have worked is around 14k and state CA tax is 5134$. What kind of refund can I expect assuming my Federal tax would be 20 K and CA state tax to be 7k.

BTW I am from India. Let me know if you need any other details
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2014, 07:25 PM
    Sandeep,

I need to know what you actually were paid in 2013, plus your moving expenses.

Also, are you married and do you have any children?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Refund for F1- student [ CPT and OPT] [ 63 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student did my MS in NY. When I was in school I got a full time job in Oklahoma and I started working on CPT from March 2009 to September 2009. Then I graduated in September and I am working on OPT since then. And now it's the tax time and I have some much confusion...

Tax refund for Indian OPT student on F-1 visa [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I am a non-resident alien, Indian national on F-1 visa and currently working at Tufts University, Boston MA from June 28, 2012. My OPT started on June 17, 2012 and ends on June 16, 2013. My monthly gross income is about $ 3321. I had discussed with the payroll office after getting hired...

Wife was on student visa in 2011, she is working on OPT. Should we get FICA refund? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife was on student visa whole of 2011 and she started working on OPT starting April 2011. I am on H1-B and we are filing "married filing jointly - 1040" form from last 3 years, since she didn't have any income before. She was on H-4 dependent visa in 2008. Should we get FICA refund? What form...

Married student from India, on OPT, cannot claim student loan on 1040NR. Help? [ 1 Answers ]

I am married & was on OPT till sep 09 & from Oct 1 H1B. I don't pass substaitial presence test. Since I am from India, I can claim personal exemption for my spouse as well as standard deduction. But I was not give student loan deduction. IRS said that my status is married filing separately, where...

F-1 student OPT and FICA tax refund [ 6 Answers ]

Thanks for taking the time to help out. I am a student on an F-1 student visa, currently on OPT and planning on filing for an OPT extension under the STEM rule. Under OPT, both social security and medicare taxes have been withheld. I have been in the US since 2001 as a non-resident alien,...

View more questions Search