Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HikariSenryu Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2014, 10:27 PM
    Can my parents cash a check made out to me?
    I live on campus at school so I don't trust having my mail sent here. Instead all of my mail is sent to my parent's house and my uncle sent a check as a birthday gift a few weeks ago apparently. My parents said nothing came, but I don't believe that. Could they actually cash my check, I mean they know my SSN and everything? I know if I was a minor they could, but I'm an adult. Is it possible for them to do that without my knowledge or consent?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 4, 2014, 10:53 PM
    You would have to sign it over to them in order for them to cash it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 04:10 AM
    Could they do it, sure, they sign your name, and then sign their names and take it to their bank.

Esp if names match, or if bank knows them. Bank does not know you are not a minor at this point.

So did you talk to the person who wrote the check ?

Did you tell parents to look again, since they sent a check.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 5, 2014, 04:27 AM
    Sure, happens all the time. Banks don't check signatures. Your parents sign your name and then theirs.

Odd that you have mail sent to your parents but don't trust them! Your uncle can easily tell you if it's cashed or not. If it is cashed, then it's more work for him to find out who. Banks no longer send back the actual physical check, so to see the back you sometimes have to pay a small fee.

If it still isn't cashed, it's lost. Your uncle can wait or pay a large fee to put a stop payment on it.

I have Paypal and highly suggest that you and your uncle and parents open accounts. There's no fee for buyers of goods online, and there's no fee for people to just send money to each other. It all happens with one click so you don't have to fill out info, and it's very secure.

Jan 5, 2014, 06:09 AM
    I send all of my mail their place because it's easier to send large items and people on campus will steal just about anything. Thanks joypulv, I'll probably open a Paypal and maybe get a p.o box.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 05:39 PM
    Call your uncle and ask him to check with the bank to see if the check cleared. If it has not he can put a stop on it and reissue it. If it has cleared ask your uncle to report bank fraud to his bnk and let them follow up. Why can't you trust your mail reaching you on campus?
    Pets Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 05:59 PM
    I'm in Canada, and I'm beginning to think that my answer to this post was based only on where I live.

My kids, one 11, the other 15, get a check (in Canada it's a cheque) from their Aunt every birthday and Christmas, $100 each cheque (sorry, I mean check). They don't have bank accounts, so we have to cash those cheques through our account. They're children, but even then they have to sign the cheque over to us in order for us to cash it and give them the money.

I love all of my US friends, but I have to say, the more posts I read about the way you all do things in the US, the sadder I feel for all of you. You're all really screwed. At least that's how it seems.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 09:40 PM
    Alty, that's the way it's supposed to work here as well....but dishonest people can sign checks and cash them. I think that's what is being said here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 10:02 PM
    You say they sign it,? What if you just signed their name, who would know, this is what happens in America, the child's name is signed but the parent does it

Jan 8, 2014, 05:45 AM
    It's really sad and I'll be really pissed if my parents actually did forge my signature. Is there any way I can check to see if there are accounts open in my name?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2014, 08:10 AM
    No, not unless you know which bank to check.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2014, 09:08 AM
    "My parents said nothing came, but I don't believe that."
    Are your parents having financial difficulties? The bigger issue here is why you suspect that your parents are telling you lies, and why they would think they wouldn't be found out, considering how easy it would be to check into what became of the check.

"...my uncle sent a check as a birthday gift a few weeks ago apparently." Apparently (def. Appearing as such but not necessarily so)
    You are willing to accuse your parents this quickly? Why?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 8, 2014, 10:21 AM
    So have you asked your uncle if it showed up as cashed yet?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 8, 2014, 10:30 AM
    We have someone here who flat out mistrusts his parents, with not one shred of background or proof.
    Mail gets lost. Senders think they send and don't, or address it wrong. Holidays slow mail down. Parents lose mail especially in the holiday rush. Yet he STILL hasn't asked his uncle to look at his bank account. So we are spinning our wheels.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2014, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HikariSenryu View Post
    It's really sad and I'll be really pissed if my parents actually did forge my signature. Is there any way I can check to see if there are accounts open in my name?
    Unless you know the bank I doubt if you can find an account. But an account is not necessary. Fraudulently endorsed checks are hard to stop. There is no way for a bank (or any check casher) to determine if the signature is genuine. So they rely on knowing the depositor. So your parents would have to have an account and a hold would have been put against their account until the check cleared.

But there is really a simple thing here. Ask your uncle whether he sent a check and whether it is still outstanding. If it was cashed, he can get a copy of the cancelled check showing the endorsers and where it was cashed. It's been a few days since you posted this. Have you talked to him?

Aside to Alty. It works the same way south of the border. The payee has to endorse the check (isn't it easier to type a k than que ;) ). Of course there is little to prevent you from signing their name. As long as they don't report the forgery to the police nothing will happen.

Jan 8, 2014, 09:26 PM
    Smearcase, the only reason I found out that my uncle sent anything was when he called to make sure I received the check. That's what "apparently" meant. By the way joypulv if you feel like you're "spinning your wheels" then don't post. I called my uncle and told him to put a stop payment on it. The reason I didn't take my parents' word was for the simple fact that they've stolen money from me in the past. I always thought the only way to cash a check was with ID so I figured if they have it they couldn't do anything since it was made out to me; didn't realize banks made it so easy to scam someone. Thanks ScottGem, for now I'm just going to go to different banks to see if anything is open in my name.
    Pets Expert

Jan 8, 2014, 09:31 PM
    I'm confused. You mistrust your parents, they've stolen money from you in the past, but instead of sending your mail to you, or getting a P.O. box, you allow your mail to go to their home. Why?

If someone stole from me, even if it was my parents, I wouldn't be allowing my mail, and checks, to go to them.

Not a very bright move on your part, especially since you didn't trust them before this.

This is basically a "duh!" moment on your part.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 9, 2014, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HikariSenryu View Post
    Thanks ScottGem, for now I'm just going to go to different banks to see if anything is open in my name.
    Why bother? To open an account requires ID unless it is for a minor child and even then they would need something to prove its for a minor child. They do NOT have to have an account in your name to cash a check, they only need the account in THEIR name.

If you uncle called to ask, it probably means the check was NOT presented for payment. Otherwise his bank would have notified him that it had been cashed. So it seems you are making a mountain out of nothing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2014, 01:36 PM
    Take this as a warning to get your fiscal house in responsible order. Then you don't have to be so hyped on running around looking for the needle in a haystack, or worrying whom to trust. Actually this is your second warning since you say your parents have stolen money from you before.

Your uncle will handle his own business, and you handle yours with your own private bank account, and a mailing address. That's being independent and responsible. I don't think your parents stole anything, but have different ideas about how YOUR money should be managed since they are still taking care of you, and your education, and living away from home on campus. I may be assuming, but no doubt paying for an education or on campus living is done by them for the most part and that in itself should be a benefit of a doubt with the trust issues and stealing your money.

This is a life lesson in handling your business properly so learn from it. Chances are your parents and uncle will solve this mystery, and you may never know, so don't trip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you credit when cash sales has been made [ 1 Answers ]

What do you credit when cash sales has been made?

My parents made us break up [ 22 Answers ]

Okay, I'm going to try and keep this brief and to the point. (I'm 14) I have a lot of friends at school, but for some reason I don't like them as much as I like my best friend Jessica. Jessica and I are in no classes together, so the only time I talk to her is between classes. She also has a...

Checks made out to cash [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Small contractor. I do 15- 20,000 per year. I recently did work for a much cheaper rate to help someone out for cash. They paid me with a check made to cash.If I cash this check do I have to claim it on my taxes?

How do you cash a check? Can a parent cash a check [ 2 Answers ]

How do you cash a check? Can a parent cash a check for his/her child without the child being present? I am 16 and I do not have a bank account but I received a check in the mail for payment for a job I worked at The only problem is that when I came home, the envelope with the check in it was...

Cash advance made by deceased [ 1 Answers ]

There was a cash advance made by my grandfather before he passed. There is no estate and no assets no probate of any kind, that was dissolved in 2000 when we qualified my grandmother for medicaide. He lived with me in my home and all money's were spent down according to law. Now the credit card...

View more questions Search