Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    19203022 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2014, 08:11 AM
    Do step son can claim on step mother property
    My mother is 2nd wife of my father. We are 2 sons. 1st wife had 1 son. My mother have property in her name and also we reside is in my mothers name. My father have another property also ( Mumbai and Gujarat). Whether my step brother claim on my mothers property?
    What are his rights?
    If my mother make will then can he challenge?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2014, 08:19 AM
    Generally a step child has no claim on a step parent's estate unless the step parent adopts the step child. But I'm not familiar with the laws in your country. So I would strongly suggest consulting a local attorney and have your mother make a will. Any will can be challenged, but if prepared by an attorney the challenge is less likely to succeed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 08:30 AM
    First you did not say where you live.

Also is child adopted ? ( does not sound like it)

The step parent can list the other child in the will, and then they will have a claim. But normally no, a step child has no legal rights to property.

They may try, so you may have to fight it out in court
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 2, 2014, 10:53 AM
    Fr_Chuck, Mumbai and (I assume) Gujarat are in India, so that is probably where OP is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can me and my husband keep my step-son from his mother? [ 10 Answers ]

My step son is 5years old. My husband and his mother have no court visitation set up, and he had a paternity test done when he was born. She has no job, lives with her dad and spent a couple months in jail last year for heroin. Has also had a constant warrant for her arrest since 17 (is 24). If she...

Step son treating step mom disrespectfully [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old step son. I have been with his dad for six years, and we have been married for three years. I have been through a lot with the boy and his mom since day one. He lived with us for about nine months, but just recently his mom moved about four hours away and he made the...

What to do with my abusive and defiant 19 year old step-son & step-daughters? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I retain my status as a respected father to my defiant stepchildren and beloved husband to my currently separated wife who came with these five biological children of hers who are now showing resentment to me?

Step-dad has been supporting step son after mom moved out and now want custody [ 3 Answers ]

I was with my step-son since he was 2 bio dad has only seen him a total of 48 hrs in 4 years, bio mom left step son with me and I have supported him by myself with out her for past year. I had to do paperwork so that he could go to school, provided medical and babysitting for him, now bio parents...

Can step mother get child support issued from biological mother of step children? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband doesn't want to go after his ex for child support. Can I go after her as the step parent who has been caring for the children for almost five years? The biological mother hasn't seen or talked to the children for about four years now.

View more questions Search