Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2014, 07:47 AM
    The 4th Amendment
    Hello:

Today, a federal judge struck down, as UNCONSTITUTIONAL, the law that required Florida to drug test ALL its applicants for welfare.

Who, among our right wing friends, EVER thought this was Constitutional???

Tuesday’s decision stemmed from a 2011 suit filed Luis W. Lebron, a Navy veteran and full-time student who had filed for public assistance. Mr. Lebron, who provided care for his disabled mother and was raising a young child as a single father, argued that it was unfair to require drug testing when no suspicion of drug abuse existed.

Judge Scriven agreed.

excon
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 08:32 AM
    Interesting that the Fla. Gov't thought the ALL applicants part would make it legal. Makes you wonder if making it Random like they do for public school athletes could get past the Judge.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2014, 08:34 AM
    I can honestly say I don't recall having ever given it any thought.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2014, 08:49 AM
    Hello again,
    I can honestly say I don't recall having ever given it any thought.
    For a right winger, who portends to take exception to Obama violating the Constitution, when a right wing governor does it, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

Makes you wonder if making it Random like they do for public school athletes could get past the Judge.
    Random isn't the key. PROBABLE CAUSE is the key.

excon
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 08:51 AM
    PROBABLE CAUSE is the key
    So you're saying it's Unconstitutional to test high school athletes?
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2014, 09:13 AM
    Hello again, Cats:
    So you're saying it's Unconstitutional to test high school athletes?
    Well, I don't know how they conduct those searches, but if the basis for them LACKS probable cause, then in my opinion, YES! The Constitutional prohibition against searches is pretty clear. It can't be done WITHOUT probable cause.

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 09:14 AM
    Has any one ever challenged the constitutionality of testing athletes in high school? If so, what happened?
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2014, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

For a right winger, who portends to take exception to Obama violating the Constitution, when a right wing governor does it, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..
    Having not given it thought is not the same as an endorsement. I think welfare should be needs based, period, drug testing seems silly to me. If people are hungry they're hungry, we don't ask people of they're sober before they get a bowl of soup, so you can ease up on us right-wingers a little. You did notice the Rep governor of NC vetoed their bill so we aren't all the pariahs you think we are.

On the other hand, what do you suggest to cut down welfare fraud, anything?
    Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 10:15 AM
    How much fraud do you think there is? I think trust but verify all documentation, and a larger central database would be a great start. Back to mandatory drug testing being unconstitutional. Where are the court cases that challenge the law of the schools?
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2014, 10:30 AM
    Let me Google that for you.

Board of Education v. Earls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 10:36 AM
    Where are the court cases that challenge the law of the schools?
    They've been legal for awhile.

Drug Testing: Background Information - FindLaw
    Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 10:40 AM
    Thanks I don't feel like looking up stuff today.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2014, 11:12 AM
    Hello again,

In my humble legal opinion, the distinction between Earl's and the Florida welfare recipients, is the expectation of privacy..

In brief, you HAVE it, if your participation with the government is NECESSARY, but you don't if your involvement is EXTRACURRICULAR.

In a majority opinion delivered by Justice Clarence Thomas, the Court held that students in extracurricular activities had a diminished expectation of privacy, and that the policy furthered an important interest of the school in preventing drug use among students.
    excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2014, 11:32 AM
    Works for me.
    Expert

Jan 1, 2014, 12:03 PM
    There is also a conflict of interest in Florida in testing welfare recipient as the governor, already associated with health care fraud of the federal government,

Mitt Romney and Rick Scott both have Medicare fraud in their background, super PAC ad claims | PolitiFact

Scott's hospital company, Columbia/HCA, pleaded guilty to criminal charges and paid a total of $1.7 billion in fines related to Medicare fraud. Even though Scott had resigned by the time the case settled, prosecutors said the widespread fraud occurred while he was at the helm.
    Also is involved with the firms that would be in line for contracts to do the drug testing.

Does Rick Scott Cash In On Mandatory Drug Testing? | Liberaland

Florida Governor Rick Scott passed into law a bill mandating drug testing for those on public assistance. The company he founded, Solantic, does a big drug testing business. Although Scott divested himself of interest in the company in January, the controlling share went to a trust in his wife's name.

This raised a groundswell of concern and questions about his health policy initiatives, especially his push to move Medicaid into private HMOs. Solantic does not take Medicaid but does business with private Medicaid HMOs. The questions are growing louder with Scott's executive order on drug testing.

Solantic charges $35 for drug tests. The main customers? People who want advance reassurance they will pass an upcoming drug test for work or parole, and worried parents who bring in wayward teens…

Time for Governor Scott to answer some questions about his personal interest in drug testing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indiana Supreme Court: "What 4th amendment?" [ 32 Answers ]

No castles in Indiana... A cop can enter your home for ANY reason or NO reason at all in Indiana? That ain't American.

First Amendment [ 5 Answers ]

Does the first amendment protect your right to see whatever movie you wish?

Tax amendment [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find out about receiving a amended tax return. I amended a 2006 return and sent it out in late April. Now it's July. When do I receive this return?

Tax amendment [ 1 Answers ]

How can I check the status of my tax amendment? Thanks..

4th amendment rights violated. [ 25 Answers ]

Today, I receive a call from my wife she was crying. Apparently, she rear-ended a Yonkers Police Car. There was a car that stop short in front of the squad car and she hit him and the 3rd car hit her. She went out of car to see if there was any damage. There wasn’t any damage to any of the cars...

View more questions Search