Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    briannadevin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Swamping area in backyard
    Hi I have owned my house for 2 years now. We bouight it in winter so when spring came and all the water we notice major swamping in the middle of our backyard and it is a big section of it. It is so bad that I can't let the kids play back there. Any tips on how to fix this that won't be so costly. I am not sure if clay would work and then replanting grass back on top or what to do , I am stuck. Please help.:( :(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 07:06 AM
    You had better find out where the water is coming from before you do anything. If you can drain it off you could order a few square yards of topsoil to fill it in, but if you want to replant the grass I would not suggest clay. Are you sure it will not dry up as spring progresses, call the previous owners or ask a neighbour to find out if that standing water is permanent. Was it there when you bought the house and just frozen over.
    hwy61 Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Apr 2, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by briannadevin
    Hi I have owned my house for 2 years now. We bouight it in winter so when spring came and all the water we notice major swamping in the middle of our backyard and it is a big section of it. It is so bad that I can't let the kids play back there. Any tips on how to fix this that wont be so costly. I am not sure if clay would work and then replanting grass back on top or what to do , I am stuck. Please help.:( :(
    You may have a wet weather spring if the area around you is hilly. Regardless in order to correct this you will need a "downhill" area to drain the water. Do you have some place on your property where you can drain the water? If you can't correct the problem by properly grading the area so it will drain and eliminate the depression, you will have to install a french drain system.

This is a subsurface drainage system with corrugated 4" plastic pipe that has small slits along it's length and can have a filter sock around it. I usually find this unnecessary. It is installed in a trench, usually 12" to 18" deep. You then install crushed stone 5 and 7 size, or gravel over the pipe then fill the remainder of the trench with sandy soil. These pipes can be connected together similar to a septic field or they can all individually run downhill to an appropriate discharge area. If there is a depression that can't be removed by grading, install the french drain then add sandy or loamy soil to fill the area to an appropriate level.

Professionals that do this type of work are Landscape Architects and landscape contractors. This is also a project a homeowner can undertake. Just remember, water runs downhill. It amazes me how many people don't seem to know this. Also remember to be neighborly with where you discharge the water and it is illegal to change the flow of water onto a neighbor that previously didn't receive your runoff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NJ urban backyard - trying to make it an OASIS, please help! [ 2 Answers ]

First off, your help is much appreciated! My wife and I are planning an urban garden of sorts, with flowers, herbs, & veggies if possible... Problem is, it's in an urban setting. And much of the sunlight is blocked. We probably only get about an hours worth of sun in the summer, and virtually...

Adding Drainage to a Soggy backyard [ 1 Answers ]

My backyard is north-facing and has a very slight slope to it (slopes away from house). Its fenced and there are a row of cedars planted in a raised bed in the back of the yard against the fence. The yard is a soggy mess in winter and in summer never completely dries out. How do I add...

How can I find the drain barrel in backyard? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a slab ranch,about 50 yrs old. My kitchen drain is clogged, we snaked it 50 feet, ran into nothing. Mind you the bathroom just off the kitchen is not affected, so we know that they are a separate drain system. Two years ago, kitchen clogged and plumber came and snaked it, saying we...

Dmz area [ 7 Answers ]

What is OWA means? OWA "front End" " DMZ Area"? OWA "Back End" " DMZ Area"?

Lint is flying out of our vent into the backyard [ 3 Answers ]

New home, 5 year old dryer... We have lint coming out of the vent connected to the dryer, and it is making a mess on our patio. Please let me know what I can do.

View more questions Search