Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nevo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Is there no energy conservation
    When we look at a particle's rest frame
    its energy is Mc^2.
    But the particle decay has some width, so the products of the particle,generally, will have total energy different than Mc^2.
    How can it be, is there no energy conservation.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 04:32 AM
    I don't understand? Energy is conserved unless it is converted to mass.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Apr 5, 2007, 08:24 AM
    I think the point is that as particles decay the total energy of the resulting mass will be less than the energy of the mass of the original particle. The reason is as Capuchin stated, some of the mass of the original particle has been converted to energy in the form of photons and increased kinetic energy of the resulting particles.

From Nuclear fission: - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The total rest masses of the fission products (Mp) from a single reaction is less than the mass of the original fuel nucleus (M). The excess mass Δm = M - Mp is the invariant mass of the energy that is released as photons (gamma rays) and kinetic energy of the fission fragments, according to Einstein's relation E=mc².

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Law of Conservation of Matter [ 1 Answers ]

When an object travels near the speed of light, they gain mass since the speed of light is the limit of how fast something can travel. If they gain mass when traveling at these speeds, and the law of conservation of matter says that matter can neither be distroyed nor created... So my question is:...

Conservation of mass [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to see if I am going in the right direction with these types of problems: Ammonia gas and 0.365 g of hydrogen chloride gas react to give 0.535 g of solid ammonium chloride. What is the mass of ammonia that reacted? 0.365 g HCl + mass of ammonia = 0.535 g of ammonia chloride...

View more questions Search