Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chace_don_C Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2014, 03:05 AM
    Even one of my friends said it is
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 2, 2014, 05:13 AM
    Is your friend a medical profession? I don't think so. I am. I know what happens when a person is in a coma.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2014, 05:23 AM
    If they are in a coma, they can not speak. Sorry, some people want to hear things so bad. Or confuse movies with fact. Or a few folk lore.

Jan 2, 2014, 09:39 PM
    Don't have to be snobby but it is indeed possible and I also told u my aunt was educated in medical
    Expert

Jan 2, 2014, 09:58 PM
    I sit here in ICU as a registered nurse watching over my patient. If a person is in a coma they cannot speak.

Jan 2, 2014, 10:02 PM
    Its rare but it is possible and it does happen
    Expert

Jan 2, 2014, 10:06 PM
    Oh, okay, since you have been to medical/nursing school I'll take your word for it.

I know in nursing school I wasn't taught that, and of all of the patients I've taken care of, none of them could speak while in a coma. Speech in one of the indicators that the person is actually NOT in a coma.

Jan 2, 2014, 10:43 PM
    I never said I went to medical school -__- my aunt and friend did..
    Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 12:47 AM
    I think they are trying to tell you what you want to hear, sadly family often lie to family of seriously ill patients.

Part of being in a coma is just that, they have no control over any motor responses. By pure meaning of the word, they can not speak. If they are speaking, they are not in a true coma but are having other brain injury issues.

Jan 3, 2014, 09:54 PM
    -__- my aunt is blunt and everyone that told me would not lie to me about such things so I'm done here
    Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 10:13 PM
    Ask your aunt to tell you when she heard this, ( it was when they were coming out of the coma not in it)

Also ask her to show you in medical book. Sorry, but she is wrong, but on the good side, if your girlfriend actually spoke, she is not in a real coma, just not awake yet.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2014, 05:41 AM
    Chace, really does it matter? Coma or 'drifting in and out of consciousness' - what matters is what happens in the next days and weeks. As soon as the hospital and family allow you to visit her, please do so. It is well known that even if someone can't lift their eyelids or move or speak, they often can hear and feel your hand. And that it HELPS. Let us know?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dr. Patient relationship, disputed by patient [ 6 Answers ]

Recent visit to Dr. (in question) resulted in Dr.'s veiled threat of not covering patient under current ins program if said patient did not accept PA 's assessments of said patient condition, in plain words " if I didn't accept the PA working with said Dr. he would not accept me as a patient and...

Hamster in a coma. [ 4 Answers ]

We think my little sister's hamster is in a coma. He hasn't been looking very well, and today when I got back from college, he was lying on his back, and at first I thought he was dead. Upon closer inspection, I found that he was breathing, and occasionally, he moves his paws. We don't know what is...

View more questions Search