Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kns6374 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2013, 11:48 AM
    How to get custody of my 14 year old half-sister?
    I'm 18, married, and live in Kentucky. She's 14 and lives with our little brother, my mother and her boyfriend (the father of my brother and sister), my uncle and his girlfriend, and our cousin/ her kids in Ohio. They've lived there for about 10 months.
    To make a long story very short:
    -My parents are addicted to illegal substances.
    -The other members of the household also traffic drugs in and out of the home.
    -We've been to foster homes in Kentucky twice over my parent's addiction.

I haven't lived with my mother/her family for long - I moved in with my mother when I was 11 and moved right back out when I was 14. During the three years I was there, we were homeless more than twice, our utilities were shut off numerous times, we had two instances of being in foster homes, and the list goes on. She allowed me to move out at 14 years old and I went to live with my friend and later, my boyfriend and his family. She has tremendous personality defects when I presume to be caused my addiction. If needed, there are plenty of people who would gladly be a character witness regarding this information.

In addition to this, my 'step dad' (although they're not legally married, they've been together for 14 years) is currently dodging warrants he has here in Kentucky for theft. I'm not 100% certain of the details.

My sister wants to live with me and my brother doesn't, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get custody - and instead they both would have to go back to a foster home. I have a two bedroom apartment, but I'm married and we have a housemate. She's been living with me for two months now - but my parents won't grant me custody and are in the process of demanding she be returned next weekend to live with them. At this time, I'm not employed - but we do have a household income. I have her enrolled in school here (I did so by saying my mother lives with me but was out of state at the time) and we've been comfortably supporting her since she's been here.

What can I do to get custody of her?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Trying to get custody without mom's OK is probably doomed to the result of you not getting your sister and she and her brother going into foster care. You are articulate and could try, but the odds are very much against you. You are 18, your finances are unclear, you have another roommate bringing in income so either don't have a bedroom for your sister or lose some income if you do, and you have lied to get her into school. It just isn't going to work, I'm afraid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 29, 2013, 12:39 PM
    I agree, you are not on solid footing. You have lied, her legal parents oppose your getting custody. You need to return her to her legal parents or, at least to family services, then try to get guardianship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of My 17 Year Old Sister [ 4 Answers ]

I am 19 and work fulltime. My sister is 17 and is starting her junior year. Recently my mom brother and I found out my sister was molested by my stepdad a few years back and since we have always had problems with my mom for not knowing how to care for us I had enough and moved out with my little...

I want custody of my 8 year old sister I'm 18 [ 6 Answers ]

I am leaving for Army bootcamp this upcoming 9th of July. My parents aren't divorced but looks like they will soon. Well my story is long but my mom hasn't never been employed she doesn't have a h.s diploma & 2 years ago she tried committing suicide. My dad is a great man self employed all his life...

I am 20 and I would like to get custody over my 16 year old sister [ 6 Answers ]

I am 20 and just moved out of my parents home because my mother is mentlly ill (and is too much for me and my sister to take care of.) And my father is a very mean, verbal and mental abuser. My sister who is 16, does not want to live with them because of these reasons. My parents home is not a...

Getting custody of my 14 year old sister [ 7 Answers ]

Help! I have my 14 year old sister living with me and has been for nearly a year now, I would like to know if I can get custody of her can anyone advise me weather this can be done and how I would go about it... Thanks

I want to get full custody of my half sister [ 1 Answers ]

OK I'm going to be 18 in April my dad is trying to get custudy of my half 3 year old sister but I don't think he'll get her because of his back ground with drugs an so on an her mother has a really bad back ground to but the reason I want to get full custody is because 3 months ago my sisters moms...

View more questions Search