Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1stepfwd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2013, 01:19 AM
    Change orders for items in original contact?
    I'm in the middle of a major home remodel and now questioning 2 of the change orders I'd signed after reviewing the original contract.

— 2 items as stated in original contract --

"Exterior Demolition - shed, enclosed patio room, patio roof, entire concrete patio in back, concrete along side of house roofing to include the A-frame and the beam fascades along the front of house." —$4,810

"Roof (sub contractor) remove existing and apply 30 lb paper; fix and repair any damaged substructure; fill-in removed A-Frame and sheath with 5/8" on new structures" — $8,295

— 2 change orders --
    "Backyard patio removed" -- $1000

"New roof includes: Strip and remove 2 layers of existing roof and haul away. Install 100 sheets of new 3/8" plywood over entire surface. New roof paper 15 lb; roof paper to cover. New roof jacks and vents for all bath and kitchen. New 2" metal edge around entire perimeter (240 LF). Remove and replace all damaged 1"x 8" shiplap (approx 180LF). Install new composite shingles with 25 year warranty. — $6,400

I'm a bit dim with all this as it's my first time dealing with any remodel project, but does it seem I've been double-charged? Also, does it seem odd that under roofing for the original contract it stated 30lb paper but in the change order it was 15lb paper?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 25, 2013, 05:31 AM
    I tend to agree, looks to me like you are paying twice for the same work

Note also that not only did the roofing paper go from 30 lbs to 15, the sheathing went from 5/8" to 3/8.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2013, 08:07 AM
    So why did you sign them, it is a little late now, if you already signed the change order, but you need to call them in and sit down and have it explained ?

Never sign a order you do not understand 100 percent.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 25, 2013, 08:31 AM
    Did these changes reflect in your total costs? It should have been a savings to you and NOT an additional charge. Additionally why did they make these changes?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to determine Net income, discontinued items, extraordinary items [ 0 Answers ]

Sales revenue 300,000 Loss on sale of investments 22,000 Interest revenue 4,000 Loss from flood damage (unusual and infrequent) 50,000 Cost of goods sold 160,000 General and administrative expenses 40,000 Restructuring costs 50,000 ...

How do you rewire phone jack to change from cancelled # to original # [ 7 Answers ]

Originally had 2 phone numbers coming into house. Canceled 1 and want to rewire cancelled #'s jack to accept other number that comes into house so all phone jacks will have same number.

Change xp to original vista [ 1 Answers ]

Change windows xp to original windows vista

Son needs original name change order [ 1 Answers ]

My son needs his orignal name change order, I can't find copy that was sent to me back in 1987. How would I go about getting copy of orignal order or the original order.

Unable to change homepage , reverts back to original one , onwindows xp [ 5 Answers ]

Unable to change homepage. Reverts back to original one . i'm using windows xp

View more questions Search