Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    potbunny12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2013, 11:11 AM
    Battery installed backwards in 85 Dodge d-250
    The battery in my 85 Dodge d-250 carbuerated 318 engine was out in backwards and now I have a little problem. When the battery was put in wrong the fuse link closest to the battery caught fire and I immediately pulled the battery connections off. I cleaned up the distributor and got it to run again but the battery won't charge anymore. I can drive it for a little while but it starts to sputter and I have to keep the gas on it. I have a new battery, voltage regulator, alternator, and ignition module. I have not touched the fuse link but my friend has, last I know of it the far left wire was burnt up. I need to know where to go from here. Should I replace the fuse link or the entire wiring harness? Could I have burnt out a wire further down in the doghouse? Where would you guys go from this point. And I also can't afford a new 200 dollar wiring harness so hoping for some redneck ingenuity here.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
    . Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.

. Read the instructions that came with the new voltage regulator on how to polarize it with a "soft spark."

. Replace the fusible link.

. Check ECM.
    potbunny12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2013, 04:56 PM
    Thank you I will do this next weekend and see what happens. There was no instructions with the regulator though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We installed a new transmission in a ford 2005 250 diesel engine. Will we have proble [ 4 Answers ]

We installed a new transmission in a 1995 ford f-250 diesel. We heard that since we did so we should be looking out As the truck will start having a lot of problems soon. Is this so?

1991 dodge cummins 250 charging problems... [ 1 Answers ]

When my truck is at a low idle it will only charge at 10 volts. When at higher rpm's it will charge perfect at 14 volts what should I check or change. I don't know where the voltage reg is located at also thanks

John Deere battery hooked up backwards, now won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a John Deere STX38 that has had a new battery hooked up backward. No with a new fresh battery hooked up correctly, does nothing when trying to start. What can be damaged by battery hooked up incorrectly? Solenoid? Any fusible links on this model? Charging system? Any help will...

Battery drain 1993 Dodge W250 [ 1 Answers ]

If I leave the battery cable connected, the battery drains overnight. If I pop it loose (as I have done every night for weeks) it has plenty of juice to start. I have the schematics, but am having trouble narrowing it down. I pulled all the fuses in the interior and the battery still drains, so I...

View more questions Search