Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edible123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2013, 01:49 AM
    1992 honda accord idles up and down from 2500 rpms to 4500 rpms
    I've replaced the idle air control valve and thethrottle position sensor and checked for vacuum leaks what else could it be I've checked everything I don't know what else it could be if anyone has any ideas I'm open for anything at this point I'm out of my car because I can't drive it at this point and I'm running out of money xD please someone lol
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2013, 06:32 AM
    Purge all air from the cooling system. Set the heat slide to Max Heat and fill the radiator with coolant, until it comes out the air bleeder bolt. If the problem persists, replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) should solve the problem. FYI, the BLU wire from the tachometer goes directly to the ICM. Be sure to apply silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the new ICM.

Dec 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Purged the coolant like you said and id did absolutely nothing still surging in idle to 4500 rpms and the ignition control module is 50$ and it may not be the issue I don't know I've already spent 400$ on the car in 2 days and I isn't got the money to gamble another time I mean is there anything else like anything... head gasket... and no there is not oil in the coolant and no deluted oil just wondering I mean I did get on it really hard before it started happening if that could spark anything I really appreiciate you help man and the ideas please keep them coming
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Fluctuating Idle RPM

1. Ensure Check Engine Light is not on. If it is, solve that problem first.

2. Purge air in the cooling system (open bleeder bolt and add coolant or squeeze hoses, depending upon the vehicle). Purging air, or topping off the coolant, solves most fluctuating idle problems.

3. Check for vacuum leaks--examine hoses, Fast Idle Thermo Valve (ensure valve seat is tight), and Idle Air Control Valve (IACV).

4. Check the IACV--If you suspect the IACV is sticking, tap on it with a small mallot and see if the idle speed changes. The "stepper motor," located inside the IACV, regulates air flow during idle. A small pintle fits into a passage, which channels air around the throttle plate. If idle rpm changes, after tapping the IACV, clean or replace it.

Fluctuating idle rpm is usually caused by vacuum leaks (too much air), which the ECM constantly tries to adjust for--hence, the fluctuations as the engine "seeks" a level.

Dec 30, 2013, 07:01 PM
    I ended up finding the problem my intake gasket had a 2 inch gap blown out of it and I replaced it myself (: thank you for the help man
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2013, 07:23 PM
    Good job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 1990 honda accord revs at 2000 rpms when started [ 1 Answers ]

When I start my car the rpm gauge shoots too 2000 rpms and itsd in idle, I have no clue what could cause this

1992 Honda Accord rpms fluctuate at stops. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1992 Honda Accord LX the problem I'm having is the rpm's fluctuate at red iights and stop signs, from 1000 -2000 back and forth I was told it was the thermal regulator valve then heard it was a blown head gasket so I replaced the car with a used motor. 40,000 miles and it still...

93 honda civic constant high idle 4500 rpms [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 93 honda civic with a constant high idle. It idles at 4500 rpms then will drop to 2500 as it heats up I have change the idle air control and the map sensor but nothing. However when I cover up one of the holes in the throttle body (because I have two I don't know if its normal) the...

Honda 11hp misses and won't run at high rpms but idles fine [ 1 Answers ]

My honda gx340 11hp was runnning fine one day then it just started sputering blowing black smoke but when you idle it down it purrs like a kitten I just put a brand new carb on it and didn't fix anything went through the whole motor only thing I found was the intake valve leaks a slight bit when...

2000 Honda Civic EX suddenly idles at low rpms [ 1 Answers ]

I have a honda civic ex that suddenly idles at low rpms. I just replaced the spark plugs but it still idles at low rpms. Please try and help.

View more questions Search