Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peggy Hosken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Number of pre-schoolers per teacher or aid
    I am currently working as the coordinator in the English department in a bi-lingual primary school in Tampico, Mexico. I have been given the task of finding out how many teachers or aids should be in a class of 24 pre schoolers. We are very interested in providing the best environment for our young learners. We have a Kinder 1 for 3 yr. olds, Kinder 2 for 4 yr. olds and Kinder 3 for 5 yr. olds.

Thank you for your help.
    :)
    Peggy Hosken
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Not an expert in this area.

All I can do is tell you my experience.

My son, 3, is in a 3-5 prK class with one teacher and one aid. Most of the time in the afternoon I see about 16 kids there. Sometimes more, since some are half day, some are full. So 16 norm, and maybe 20 plus at overlap times.

I think any fewer teach/aides would be tough, tough, tough. The teachers seemed stretched thin a bit. Many parents at the school volunteer, including us, and the teachers seem relieved when more help comes in. we take kids to the library and other little tasks. But you can tell that they breathe a sigh of relief when a volunteer comes in to take the load off... and I think this is at a really great school.

So... I'm sure there will be others here who are experts. I've only taught college level classes, and even then active classes like labs with numbers above 14-16 students can start to stretch you thin... and that's with "adults"
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 08:33 PM
    When I worked for Head Start, the class size was limited to 16. One teacher and one para or aide. But we had two sessions a day - a.m. and p.m. and there were three classes going each day (three instructors and three aides). If you have 24 students, I would say one teacher and two aides. If you have a child with special needs, that child needs his/her own aide.
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

May 12, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Hosken
    I am currently working as the coordinator in the English department in a bi-lingual primary school in Tampico, Mexico. I have been given the task of finding out how many teachers or aids should be in a class of 24 pre schoolers. We are very interested in providing the best environment for our young learners. We have a Kinder 1 for 3 yr. olds, Kinder 2 for 4 yr. olds and Kinder 3 for 5 yr. olds.

Thank you for your help.
    :)
    Peggy Hosken
    Hello, Approachng it from the mandated staff/student ratio under US IDEIA regulations (Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Act - 2004) the numbers are as follows: Up to 9 students: 1 teacher, 1 aide, up to 12 students add aide. The rule of thumb is the lower the better as intense instruction around readiness and socialization skills pays the biggest dividends at this age. Hope this helps. RM
    raymone31 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Peggy I am an administrator in an elementary school. We have 4 pre-k classrooms among other grades. Three classes vary from 16-21 students (we have a large transient population) with one aid and/or volunteer grandparent. The other classroom is funded through a state grant is limited to 12 students with one full-time aid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teacher Burn Out? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a former middle school teacher of 12 years and I eventually burned out. I loved teaching but I couldn't sustain the level of involvement required to be an EXCELLENT teacher. I didn't want to be anything less than that. How many of you have suffered from teacher burn out? Stories?

Teacher Burn Out [ 3 Answers ]

I am a high school social studies teacher, and I'm feeling burned out. This is a second career, so I am frustrated at having to "start over" again. I love most students, but the paperwork is overwhelming. I have 240 students a day, teach five different classes, run two clubs and have a special...

Teacher needs help [ 7 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old student with the following characteristics: Volitle.. emotionally, not physically Mild to moderately paranoid Dislikes most people, yet is very sweet and clingy to me No social skills Immature Insecure Gets very loud and emotional Repeats phrases... I hate you... you...

Any idea for a 2 week ESL summer camp curriculum for Junior High Schoolers in Korea? [ 0 Answers ]

I have to come up with a 2 week summer camp curriculum for a ESL class. Each day will consists of a 4 hr. period. I would appreciate if you could give me an idea of what I should teach for each day for 4 hr. during this 2 week schedule. This is all indoor class activities only.

View more questions Search