Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    december Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2005, 09:52 AM
    Not enough memory
    Hi, sometimes when I attempt to connect to a web site, doesn't matter which one, I get a message that says not enough memory to run this program close one or more programs. If I do C/A/D to see what is running, the normal stuff is there and then Webshots, webshots all the way down the little screen. I have to log out, close down and re boot to continue what I was doing. Yes I have webshots installed on my machine and it shows up as Webshotstray (I think) but why the webshots over and over how can I stop this once and for all. Thanks December :rolleyes:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2005, 10:43 AM
    Webshots
    Hi,
    First, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall (remove) Webshots... if it shows up there.
    Next, run the following:
    If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    SpyWare Blaster 3.2
    Great, free, program that STOPS spyware, trojans, home page hijacks, etc, BEFORE they get into your computer. Check it out at CNET at link:

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

This could be, but not absolutely sure, Spyware using Webshots.

Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2005, 04:51 PM
    Clearly, Webshots is getting loaded multiple times. Why that is happening I can't tell. You might want to check with their tech support. It could be spyware or a glitch in the program or the program itself is junk.

I would definitely uninstall it and see if you continue to have problems. If you don't you might try redownloading and reinstalling a clean copy.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2005, 06:36 AM
    Webshots
    Hi,
    Another think you could do is to disable the auto update for Webshots. You could then check the site whenever you wish for any update.
    Go to Start/Run, and type in MSCONFIG, then click on OK.
    Click on the StartUp tab. On the left will be all the programs starting up when you boot up the computer.
    Scroll down, and look for something like Webshots.
    You can left click on it, to remove the checkmark, then click Apply, and OK.
    Re-boot.
    If you have unchecked something you really need, you can always go back and check it again.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Loving Memory. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am posting this in Other Family & People, instead of Pets & Animals, because our 12 yrs old mixed breed housedog, terrior-poodle, Molly, was our "home" family. Our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson live about 4 hours drive away. I am hoping this well help me, and I know my wife has been...

Pny memory [ 5 Answers ]

Has any one had any experience with PNY memory? I saw Tiger Direct had some on sale for a good price. The reviews aren't so good. Many incompatible problems. I have a emachines t3882. There website said it could take 400mhz pc3200 512mb ddr memory. I haven't looked inside my machine yet to see what...

Memory [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference bet. Physical memory and virtual memory. I have a total physical memory of 256MB and available is 29.70 MB while virtual is 2.00GB and available 1.96MB. Does this mean that I do not have enough space that's why I'm having slow startup?

Explorer.exe using 99% of memory! [ 3 Answers ]

Whenever I try and open my music folder, things start going VERY slow. Task manager shows that explorer.exe is using 99% of the CPU to try and open the folder. Around the same time this started, windows media player went on the fritz. Also, when I try and uninstall recently installed...

View more questions Search