Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Mar 31, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Mediation experience
    Anything anyone can tell me about mediation would be a huge help. Specifically, child custody.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Ah, Matty, are your ex's parents going to be in on this one too?

Mediation is an excellent alternative to dragging your butt through the court process. It winds up being cheaper in the long run if you can hammer something out through mediation. Is there something specific that you want to know? Process is like being in front of a judge but a lot more relaxed.

Mar 31, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Yeah well in NC, it is the law that you have to go to mediation. No if the inlaws are there I will refuse to proceed (I don't think they will be allowed). That's kind of funny because they have initiated, their own thing as something called an intervener, it is usually only done if a parent is completely unfit, (it kind of makes you wonder about my ex) but there is not a chance in hell they will beat me on that, (Their daughter is setting herself up). I am betting that it was the only way they would pay the legal bills, or that the lawyer is just pumping them for money. Maybe both. But I don't really expect it to resolve anything my ex is not reasonable, (she will not even shield all this from my daughter). So I would expect it to be decided by an arbitrator, which I can't lose because I can't get any less time. Right now I only get 34 hours a week, before all this it was 60, but I really want to be able to make sure my daughter has a stable, home as much as possible (my home).

Mar 31, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Yeah you think I would know my ex girlfriend (not this one) has a masters in Conflict Resolution (Mediation) but unfortunetly I didn't pay attention. I am thinking of e-mailing her. My question is this, is it something you win? What about supposed evidence, does it really matter?
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Hi Matty. Yes sorry, the arbitrator is like the judge. I am getting a bit tired and it probably would be wise to not stay on too much longer.

Is there something specific you want to know about mediation? It really does make sense to do that. A mediator may be able to tell your ex that she is not thinking realistically and get her to relent on certain issues. Kind of like the legal version of a marriage counselor, but not quite. But, I think you get my drift.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Sorry, I guess we were posting at the same time. No, it is not something that you "win" per say. All the issues will be brought to the table. Each issue will be brought up for discussion. If there is evidence that either of you has for that issue, it is brought into play and discussed. The result is a meeting of the minds. The mediator will make a huge attempt to resolve all the issues to everyone's satisfaction. His input is also valuable if there is a big conflict that cannot be resolved. That will go far with an arbitrator or Judge. They will rely on the mediator's report.

I think it would be a great idea to get a hold of your other ex -- conflict resolution ex. :p
    If you have a good relationship with her she can really give you a good idea of what to be prepared for.
    cw77 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2011, 05:03 AM
    If you can't work it out in mediation, you go to trial.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mediation how to [ 2 Answers ]

I could use any info about mediation that anyone might know.

Mediation [ 2 Answers ]

My friend took a dna test and the child is his. She's 2 1/2 months old now and he is seeking 50/50 joint custody, what is his chance of getting it? I think the judge will not give him joint custody because the child is so small and has been living with the mother since birth. And also will the...

Divorce mediation rip off [ 5 Answers ]

This is complicated. I'll try to keep it short. Here goes. My wife moved out of the house and left me with our 2 children. I filed for divorce. When she got the papers she lied and said the kids were living with her and therefore got temporary custody. While she had temporary custody, she moved...

Mediation or Insurance? [ 10 Answers ]

I accidentally bumped into the car in front of me and caused a small crack on the back bumper of the car in front. However, because of the crack, the driver says he needs to replace his whole bumper which would probably cost over $600. He said he will not call my insurance if I agree to give...

View more questions Search