Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whiteseabass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Landlord selling leased home, can I ask them to buy me out of my lease to relocate?
    I am 4 months into a 12 month Lease. The landlord seems to be under the impression I must leave when the house is sold. I would like to know my rights on asking them to buy me out of my lease so I can take the money to find another home for me and my family, of 4 children.
    The landlord called me 4 weeks ago on Tuesday Feb. 27th to let me know an appraiser would be out the next morning and make sure I left a key. Then I did not know my rights about a written request to do this. I asked if he was selling the house and he assured me no. He then called me Wednesday to tell me they were selling and to let him know by the next day if we were interested in buying the home and if not it was going on the market and that I should read my lease agreement.
    2 days later he called to tell me less than 20 hours prior that they want to have an Open House this weekend. Needless to say this did not happen. Instead of the dread of moving in 8 months I would like to know if I can ask him to buy me out of the lease so he can sell the house and if so how does this work?
    Anyone that can help, please...
    Thank you
    Antonia
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Sure you can always ask. Doesn't mean he will be willing to do so and doesn't mean he is under obligation to do so. What does your lease say? That is your guide to your rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 06:08 PM
    You and the landlord and the new owner are bound by the terms of the lease. If the lease says you have to move if the property is sold, then you will have to move ( but I doubt the lease says that, most don't have any outs for that reason)

But as noted he does not have to buy you out, but he can if he wants to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My landlord is selling her home. [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Alabama. I have been renting the house I'm in for 9 months. My landlord just told me today that she has put her house on the market awhile ago. What is the maximum amount of time do I have to stay in this house since she didn't put me out. And do I owe her rent for the next month if I do...

Landlord selling home in MA [ 3 Answers ]

My landlord is selling our home, we are on the second floor and landlord has never lived on site. We have been here for 9 years. What if any rights do we have regarding letting real estate agents into our home? How much notice, can we specify certain times. After the home is bought how long do...

Landlord Selling [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently signed a lease for a townhome. Last week I was called by my landlord and told that he is going to sell the home. In our rental agreement (which is for 18 months) he added that rent can be raised with proper notice. My question is, since the new owner will inherit the rental...

Can I break my Apt. Lease if I buy a home 40 miles away? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a Camden apt. home. I am buying a house in Arlington and I live in Plano, Tx. About 40 miles away. I am moving for work. I have heard that since this is considered a "change of lifestyle". I will be able to break my lease and not have to pay any penalties. I contacted my leasing...

Breaking a lease to buy a home [ 3 Answers ]

Can I break a lease if I am buying a home without being penalized?

View more questions Search