Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Dec 15, 2013, 07:22 AM
    Iginition Assembly / Parts Mecanizum?
    This question may be a Wild Card query, for that I apologize.. How he managed and his bandaid solution has got me.. The object of course is bringing everything back to it's Original State... My Son has a 1996 Chev Berretta, he jammed the key in the column Iginition , but was still able to start the car & shut it off... When he got home, with a mechanic friend they removed the tumbler... Now this is the part that got me. He said there is a rod located behind the tumbler he can push to start the car without the key?? He has to replace this Part along with a few other parts of the ignition assembly? Any idea of a proper name to identify these parts.. Considering the age of the car could this be gotten from a wrecker or someone such as RockAuto.com? Thanks a Bunch...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 07:39 AM
    At the other end of that rod is an electrical switch. When you push the rod, it pushes the switch which engages the start solenoid , which engages the starter. Why would you want to mess with it. Just go buy an ignition switch. If you got one from the junk dealer you wouldn't have a key. Probably cost about $15.
    Google "1996 Chev Berretta Ignition switch"
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2013, 10:17 AM
    You can start the car without a key. I drove an old Ford for a while, used a screwdriver to turn the switch when the tumbler broke.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 16, 2013, 06:49 AM
    It sounds to me as if the Ignition Lock Cylinder (22) (where you stick the key into the column) has become worn and needs replaced to work right.
    While the Ignition Lock Cylinder is out of the column, you can manipulate the Actuator Rod (29) that is controlled by the Ignition Lock Cylinder in order to start the car without the key. (The actual Ignition Switch is at the lower end of the column (54)
    NOT recommended.

Name:  Berretta.gif
Views: 185
Size:  18.1 KB

***NOTE***: This image is a NON-tilt column and is used only to show relative locations. Tilt columns are far more complex!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where shall I entry the computer assembly parts [ 0 Answers ]

Where shall I entry the computer assembly parts

Honda iginition control module installation which wires where [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the color code of the wires and their position on the icm of a honda accord 2002 4cyl vtec 2.3 engine

Upper handle assembly parts 828 [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get parts?

Parts of a showerhead assembly [ 5 Answers ]

What valves and other parts does one need to buy to install a showerhead and handle(s) in a new shower?

1993 Honda Del Sol Iginition [ 1 Answers ]

Engine quit. Towed to shop where diagnosis was to replace distributor. They wanted too much for the work. I am getting no fire to any cylinder. Removed distributor cap and rotor is turning during engine crank. I'm trying to find out how to removed the rotor button to get at the coil to check it....

View more questions Search