Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IGCSEStudent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2013, 02:36 AM
    Simple Bank Reconciliation statement. Question.. HELP!
    Peter Dlamini’s Cash Book (bank column) had a debit balance of $515 on 30 April 2003.
    This did not agree with the bank statement of the same date, which showed a balance of
    $290.
    The Cash Book was checked against the bank statement and the following differences were
    Found:
    1. Cheques totalling $620 issued to creditors had not been presented to the bank for
    Payment.
    2. An amount of $950 paid into the bank did not appear on the bank statement.
    3. Cash sales deposited into the bank amounting to $390 had been omitted from the Cash
    Book.
    4. The bank had received $150 by credit transfer (bank giro) from Klerk for Dlamini’s
    Account. Dlamini had not been advised.
    5. A cheque for $315 received from Joseph had been paid into the bank but it had now
    Been returned unpaid. No action has been taken by Dlamini.
    6. The following transaction by the bank had not been recorded in the Cash Book:
    Bank charges $120

Can someone please tell me what the entries will be for 5.
    Thank you.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2013, 06:06 AM
    I would reverse the original entry, so your journal entry should be Debit Accounts Receivable and Credit Cash for the amount given.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Dec 14, 2013, 05:43 AM
    The adjusted cash book balance is 620 whereas bank reconciliation shows 590. There is a difference of 30
    Fidget1 Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Dec 14, 2013, 06:09 AM
    In respect of #5, you have to deduct it from the cash book because it will have been recorded there, and because the cheque was returned, it means that it didn't clear, so must be deducted. Basically, the rec is this:

Cash book bal 515

adjustments:

Cheques not presented 620
    Cheques not cleared -950
    Cash sales 390
    Klerk 150
    Joseph -315
    Bank charges -120

Cash book Total: 290
    Bank statement balance: 290
    Difference: 0

Dec 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
    The steps for preparing a bank reconciliation statement are:
    a. Adjust cash book to reflect items appearing in the bank statement but not in the bank account. - (CB)
    b. Adjust bank statement balance to records items appearing in cash book but not in the bank statement - (BS)

I have mentioned CB or BS against each transaction to help you attempt problem.

1. Cheques totalling $620 issued to creditors had not been presented to the bank for
    Payment. - BS it will reduce bank balance

2. An amount of $950 paid into the bank did not appear on the bank statement. - BS it will increase bank balance

3. Cash sales deposited into the bank amounting to $390 had been omitted from the Cash
    Book. - CB increases cash book balance

4. The bank had received $150 by credit transfer (bank giro) from Klerk for Dlamini's
    Account. Dlamini had not been advised. - CB increases cash book balance

5. A cheque for $315 received from Joseph had been paid into the bank but it had now
    Been returned unpaid. No action has been taken by Dlamini. - CB decreases cash book balance

6. The following transaction by the bank had not been recorded in the Cash Book:
    Bank charges $120 - CB decreases cash book balance

Dec 15, 2013, 03:02 AM
    "b. Adjust bank statement balance to records items appearing in cash book but not in the bank statement - (BS)"

That's wrong. In a bank reconciliation you take the company cash/bank figure and make the necessary adjustments to it so that it agrees with the balance in the bank statement. You do not adjust the bank statement balance.

Dec 15, 2013, 10:54 AM
    I've had a look into this, and discover that your method is actually fine, so it was quite wrong of me to dismiss it as incorrect. I do apologise.

Dec 15, 2013, 11:39 PM
    I am glad I was of help. Thanks anyway, I was not offended by your earlier response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank reconciliation statement [ 1 Answers ]

The Passbook of M/s Harikishan and Co. showed a Credit Balance of Rs. 8,000 as on 31st Dec. 2006. On comparison with Cosh-Book the following facts were disclosed: (i) Cheques worth Rs. 1,500 were issued on 15th Dec. for payment but only cheques Rs. 900 were presented by 31st Dec. (ii) The Bank...

Bank reconciliation statement

Bank Reconciliation Statement [ 2 Answers ]

What are the errors arise in Bank reconciliation statement.

:confused:mad:if the cheque is received from our coustomers and we entered in our cash book but forgotten to snd it to bank .

Bank Statement Reconciliation [ 1 Answers ]

I use QuickBooks to record my companies AR and AP each month. When my customers make payment they either pay by cash, check or credit card. At the end of each month I am reconciling to match my bankstatement but am having to force balance my account in my computer. Nothing ever matches any...

View more questions Search