Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Dec 12, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Replacement window
    Hello,

Looks like another window is in need of replacement (on the photo). I want to put a new window of the same size as this old one into the same woodwork; also, want to get a window with nail flanges and of the right size to make installation easier.

To measure the exact window frame dimensions, I am thinking of breaking the stucco around one corner to get to the wood frame. Apparently, the stucco around window has been patched some years ago; probably, when the current window was installed.

I was wondering if this is a reasonable thing to do. Or would the wood frame be more accessible from the interior side of the window (the current window stool and jambs are drywall panels)? Both the exterior and interior walls around the window will have to be repaired anyway...

Would appreciate any comment. Best Wishes,
    h.
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
    What is problem with the window frame. What appears in pic is that sash has to be replaced. Any good glazier can do the replacement.

Chuck

Dec 12, 2013, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    What is problem with the window frame. What appears in pic is that sash has to be replaced. Any good glazier can do the replacement.

Chuck
    Wouldn't it be comparable in price to get a brand new, weather tight and insulated window? Right now the two panes are not insulated; there is a lot of moisture and dust on the interior surfaces of both panes; opening the window is not easy because of some warping and corrosion.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2013, 04:34 PM
    If the existing is thermopane then you have a damaged seal. It would be a lot less expensive to have the sash fixed then to replace the whole window.

To replace window you will have to strip the inside trim and the outside stucco. After window is installed these things would have to be replaced.

With the sash fixed you will only have to fix whatever damage exists now.

Chuck

Dec 12, 2013, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    If the existing is thermopane then you have a damaged seal.
    Chuck
    Would a glazier be able to put a thermopane? I don't worry too much about the stucco around and the trim because I can replace them myself; besides, the stucco around the window has gone through what seems like a quick, sloppy fix a long time ago -- needs to be addressed anyway.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2013, 06:50 AM
    Unless the glazier manufactures replacement windows he will have to order it in from a place that make them. This will take about 3 days. I have replaced from 2x2 window to 3' sliding door glass.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement Window Cost [ 27 Answers ]

My wife and I are considering replacement windows for our house. I'm not interested in having every window company in the city calling us with their best deal, but I really want to know what I'm looking at from a cost perspective. We have 16 windows in the house, most are about 35 inches wide...

Gapco window leaking.replacement part or whole new window? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have Gapco windows in my 1994 townhome and the small hard rubber flat part along the bottom of the window that is to keep out rain water has shrunk and now lets water leak in during a rain. Can I replace that piece or do I need a whole new window? Thanks so much for your advice. ...

Vinyl Window Replacement [ 6 Answers ]

I want to replace my aluminum frame windows with replacement vinyl. The old windows have a flange, which was nailed to the studs, then the siding was nailed on top of it. The window replacement people say they will "collapse" the frame to pull out the flange. I have seen a video, they first...

Window Replacement [ 5 Answers ]

I need to replace window (doesn't have to be new... as long as it look descent). The current one looks foggy. . Advise me where to contact.. . [email protected] Thanks, Slim30

Replacement window [ 2 Answers ]

I want to change out an replacement window installed 10 years ago. What's procedure to follow,to get new window with correct measurements????? Thanks :)

View more questions Search