Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ACSlater Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Nonresident Alien and Non-New York State source income
    I am a F-1 student visa holder and nonresident alien for federal tax purposes. I lived in New York City for 2006 and had a student fellowship from a non New York State source. Am I required to fill out a New York state tax return?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 12:49 PM
    If you worked and earned money in NY, then yes.

Otherwise, no!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I a resident or nonresident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the US ONLY on an F-1 visa in the calendar years 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 and 2007. However, I left the US in April 2004 and came back in Dec 2005 with a new F1 visa for a new degree. I am not sure whether I am a resident alien or non-resident alien for tax purposes. I have not...

Nonresident Alien individual Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about how are nonresident alien individual taxed? I have been living states for 6 years now with a H1-B visa and plan to go back to home country ( India ) end of this year. I have made investments in my non-taxable account over the years. My non-taxable a/c mostly...

New York Nonresident Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NJ and worked in NY for 10 months in 2006. After my termination, I received several payments (stock exercises, non-qualied retirement) after I left the company that was considered NJ wages only (not NY because I was no longer working in NY) for 2006 (during Nov & Dec). My 2006 W2 for...

State taxes--source of income/residency [ 3 Answers ]

Hi So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave...

Source of income different from state of work and residence [ 1 Answers ]

I was in F1- OPT from feb 1 of 2005 and got employed by a firm in NJ and am working as a IT tech support for a client in Nashville ,TN. I have been living in TN for about an year now. I have been paying the federal tax (15%) and also the NJ state tax till date. From August I have transferred to an...

View more questions Search